forty two

"Do you want to join me in accompanying Dohyon to the airport?" My mom asked.

I nodded.

It was the day that I didn't want to come. It's as if I was in a middle of a nightmare. We grabbed a taxi and as the time passes, the more I felt the urge to cry.

After several minutes, we arrived at the airport. Dohyon and I haven't talked since morning. I was afraid that if I were to look at him, tears would fall from my eyes as I always cry easily.

"I'll just go the comfort room for a minute. Stay here, both of you." My mom said as she excused herself.

"Sachi! It's nothing much, but I want to give this to you as a remembrance." He said as he brought out a bracelet. He then put it on my wrist.

"It's cute. Thank you!" I said.

Just then, I remembered something.

"Well, if you don't want to have regrets, tell him that you like him before he leaves." Yujin suggested. "Who knows when will you two see each other again? Unless he goes back here in Japan after a few years or you and your mom goes to Korea."

Geez, do I really have to say it? But my mom would already be here in a few moments!

"Dohyon," I muttered. "I-I... aish, why is this so hard?" I said.

"Huh?"

I already saw my mom walking towards us so, I felt the urge to say it already.

"I like you." I quickly said. My cheeks flushed because of my sudden confession.

I slowly turned to look at him, but he was just smiling, so I shifted my gaze on the other direction.

After that, my mom already sat with us. "There are only ten minutes left. Do you want to go there now?"

He just nodded.

A sudden panic broke over me as I realized that this isn't a dream, but a reality. He'll be leaving in a few minutes.

"Dohyon-ah, we're going to miss you so much!" My mom said and hugged him.

"Have a safe trip." I muttered, looking at the ground.

Dohyon smiled and ruffled my hair.

And that was it, he already left.

🐹

"Are you okay?" My mom asked, placing her hand on my shoulder.

"I'm fine." I said flatly. "But I feel a little tired."

"Go to you room and rest, then."

And so, I did what she said and I lie on my bed. Tears suddenly fell from my eyes. I was tired, but I told myself that the tears flowing from my eyes came more from emotional pain than from exhaustion. As much as I had thought about it, I had no idea that our parting would hurt.

I began to realize that there will be people that we would meet and enter our life, but will eventually leave us. It's because there's no such thing as permanent in this world and we have no choice but to give up on a lot of people.

🐹

Going to school without Dohyon made me feel weird. Maybe I got used to it.

"I don't understand. When he was here, you would tell me that he's annoying and that you want him to disappear from your sight. But now that he's no longer here, you look gloomy and it seems like you want him back." Yujin said as a matter-of-fact. "Oh, I forgot for a moment that you like him."

I just looked at her blankly. Liking someone really sucks. It gives you emotions that you're not supposed to feel.

"Hey, did you tell him that before he left?" Yujin added.

I blinked as I remembered that embarrassment. "Why do you have to bring that up?"

"Why? What did he say?"

"He didn't say anything. He just smiled like he was teasing me!" I said and covered my face. "Wait, did I just got dumped?!"

"It seems so."

"As I expected, he doesn't like me." I pouted. "It's just me who feels like this. Argh, I miss... him."

"You would miss him, but you'll get over it." Yujin said. "Your feelings will also disappear after some time. You'd still meet a lot of guys."

What she said was right. Maybe I should stop thinking about it for a while so that I can start having a good time again.

"Umm, hi," Someone said.

We turned to look who it is. I was irritated by his presence. How dare him show his face after what he had done to me?

"Can you excuse us for a moment? I need to talk to Sachi." He continued.

I looked at Yujin and shook my head.

"Okay," Yujin went to a separate table and let us talk.

Tch! Why did she agree?

"First of all, I'm really sorry about what I did." Eunsang said. "It was a bet between my friends. I had to make you like me and then,  I had to reject you."

"Why did you do that?"

"You wouldn't know since you're not in my position, but I was a victim, too. They bullied me. They made me do that or else they would threaten me." He truthfully said.

"Yah! Why are you telling this to me, then? What if they'll know about it?" I exclaimed.

He just smiled. "It's fine. I already cut ties from them and reported them. They are currently facing their punishment."

Poor, Eunsang. Why would he let them bully him? I thought.

"Sorry again, Sachi. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"I understand. Thanks for telling me." I said.

"But I wasn't lying when I told you that I like you." He muttered. "They made you as a target because they knew that."

I bit my lip. I didn't know what to say.

"Don't worry about it. As I've said before, you don't have to like me back." He said. "I just want to tell you the truth since I don't want to hide things. Well, see you around school. Bye!"

With that, I was glad that he told the truth and I can see that he's sincere.