thirty nine

The sound of the doorbell made me wake up. I took a short nap on the sofa because I was tired doing our requirement in research. It irritated me because someone was constantly ringing the doorbell and it disturbed my sleep. And so, I rose up to my feet and opened the door.

It was some random guy who was holding a plastic bag.

"Who are y--"

He entered our house without even saying who he is. What if he's a criminal or something?? But he's handsome though.

"Is Dohyon here?" He asked, sitting on the sofa.

"Yes, but who are you?" I said, confused.

"I'm a friend of Dohyon's older brother." He replied.

I just looked at him from head to toe. He doesn't look like a bad person, but I was shocked how he acted earlier. How can he enter someone's house without even knowing who's the owner?

Just then, we had an eye contact and he noticed the look that I'm giving him.

"Oh, my name is Hangyul, by the way. As I've said, I'm a friend of Dohyon's older brother. His older brother is in Korea so, I'm going to give him his gift." He said.

"What gift?" I asked.

"It's just a--"

"Hyung!" Dohyon clapped and jumped excitingly.

"Dohyon! How are you?" The guy asked.

"I'm doing great! How about you, hyung? Why are you here?"

"Your brother asked me to give this seaweed soup to you." He said. "I made you this so, make sure you eat the whole bowl!"

"Ahh, really? Thank you! But why would I eat the bowl?" Dohyon seriously said.

"If you want to eat it, then fine." The guy remarked.

"I was kind of sad because they're not here for my birthday. But I'm happy now!"

It's his birthday? Tch, why didn't he tell me?

"Oh, it's your birthday? Congratulations!" The guy greeted.

Why does it sound sarcastic... oh wait, he didn't know that it's Dohyon's birthday when in fact, he brought a seaweed soup for him?? Did Dohyon's older brother told him or what?

"Hyung, where's your gift?" Dohyon said.

"Here in front you. I'm your gift." The guy replied. There was a moment of silence after that. "By the way, it's Saturday, but I still have classes later. Sorry if I couldn't stay here for long."

"It's okay." Dohyon said.

"I'll go now. Happy birthday again and take care of yourself!" The guy said and left.

"Happy birthday." I muttered.

"Your gift?"

This brat, seriously. Why would I have a gift when I only knew it today?

"For now, I don't have a gift for you. Maybe next year." I said.

"Nah, you should give me a gift today." He demanded.

Suddenly, my mother entered inside. "Dohyon-ah, today is your birthday, right? Happy birthday!"

"Thanks, auntie!" He smiled.

"I bought ingredients at the grocery. We're going to have a small birthday party for Dohyon this dinner." My mom said. "But before that, our neighbor gave me this two tickets for the carnival. Both of you should go and have fun!"

🍃time skip🍃

Dohyon and I went to the carnival and we strolled around.

We tried some of the games like running lights and popping the balloons using a dart. Going here really made me feel like a kid again.

After a few moments, I felt someone tap my back. It turned out to be a little girl.

I bend my upper body to be on her level. "What's the problem?"

"I left my teddy bear in the horror house!" She said and cried. "Help me get it, please?"

"Okay, we'll get it for you."

"Hmm? I didn't agree that I would join you." Dohyon said.

"Let's help the kid, all right? And you should join me because I'm afraid of the dark." I said.

"I'm not going!"

I grabbed Dohyon's wrist and pulled him. It was obvious that he doesn't want to go inside the horror house because he was trying to remove my grip--but he can't because he was too weak.

We were now inside and Dohyon didn't have a choice because the entrance door was already locked. We need to find the exit so that we can leave.

"I told you I don't want to go! Why did you bring me here? I'd rather die than to see ghosts! Take me away from--"

"Yah! Can't you just shut up?" I annoyingly said. He was too noisy. "If you want to leave this place already, stop complaining and just follow me."

He kept quiet. But then, every time we encounter those people who are acting like ghosts, Dohyon would let out his dolphin scream.

"Oh my God!! There's something on my feet!! There's definitely something!!" Dohyon screamed.

I pointed the flashlight on his feet and saw the teddy bear.

"We found it! This is the little girl's teddy bear." I said.

"Let's quickly get out of here, then."

After a few encounters, we already reached the exit. I realized that I'm just afraid of the dark and not ghosts. Well, they aren't a real ghosts so, yeah. On the other side, Dohyon suffered and he looked like his soul left his body.

While Dohyon is recovering, I looked for the cute, little girl, but I can no longer find her. Maybe she's already with her parents.

"You didn't find her?" Dohyon asked.

"Yeah,"

"Argh!!" He screamed while messing his hair. "We didn't have to go through all that!"

"At least we experienced it!" I said. "Do you want to keep this teddy bear?"

"Why would I?!" He raised his voice.

"Yah! I get that you're still scared, but why are you raising your voice at me?" I glared at him.

"I was not... scared."

"Not scared, huh?" I burst out laughing upon hearing it. Him? Not scared? Then, what do you call that?

"Tch," He stood up and left.