forty

We already went back to our house. My mom prepared a cake and we sang happy birthday to Dohyon. His family is not here on his birthday, but he told us that he's still happy because we are here to celebrate it with him.

"This might as well be your farewell party." My mom said, nearly crying.

"What farewell party? You're being overdramatic again." I remarked.

After that, there was a silence. I didn't know why, but I felt that something's wrong.

"Thanks again, auntie. I really appreciate it. This is one of my meaningful birthday. And Sachi... thank you, too." Dohyon smiled.

After we ate, Dohyon already went to his room. As for me, I stayed in the kitchen to wash the utensils.

"Mom," I muttered. "Is there something wrong? Earlier, why did you act like Dohyon will already leave? He still have six months to stay here, remember?"

"Yes, he'll already leave soon." She replied.

For a moment, I stopped what I was doing. What my mom said didn't sink in my mind yet. It couldn't be...

"What are you talking about? Why would he leave already?"

"Sachi, his family will already stay in Korea permanently. Dohyon was supposed to go with them this year, but they just let him finish his last year in middle school." She said. "Few months ago, it was already decided that he'll just finish the first semester here. His father's boss offered him a scholarship and want him to continue his studies in Korea. He just didn't let us know until it was definite."

With that, I was too shocked to speak. It was too sudden. I felt the same way when my dad first said that he'll leave us for a while. But now, all I could do was to wait. I had a feeling that this would also not be easy.

I couldn't imagine walking to school without Dohyon. Or eating with him for breakfast and dinner. Or talking to him that would lead to bickering. Or his stupidness and weirdness that makes me laugh. Or his caring personality that I saw a few times. He became my friend other than Yujin and I didn't expect that I'd be close to him. More than anything, I would miss the ordinary things.

🐹

"I'm sorry." Dohyon spoke.

"For what?" I asked. Why is he apologizing all of a sudden?

"For not telling you that I'll be leaving early." He said.

"Oh, that... it's okay. I understand. I know tha--argh!" I found myself tripping on a rock, and fell on my bottom.

Of course, Dohyon saw me and he burst out laughing.

"Why did you just stand there and watched me fall?!" I shouted.

"Oops, I was too slow." He said, but he still helped me to get up.

"Stop laughing. It's not funny!"

"It is." He laughed.

At this moment, even though I fell, I felt happy because I could make him laugh.

"These days, I've been feeling like this. And sometimes I would get sad and irritated when I think of him already leaving. Like, isn't this weird?" I said to Yujin.

"It's obvious that you like him." Yujin replied.

I blushed. "I don'--do I?"

"I can't believe that you don't have any idea." She shook her head.

I fell silent. I mean, why? He's a brat, he's annoying and he's just like a younger brother. So, why would I like him??

"Wait, you like Dohyon?!" She continued.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Sachi, I know you very well. It isn't Eunsang so, it's Dohyon."

I sighed. I don't want to hear the name Eunsang again after what happened.

"What should I do? He'll already leave after the finals and there's one week left!" I panicked.

"Hey, did you already forget that messenger exists? Just send him a message."

"It's not the same." I said.

"Well, if you don't want to have regrets, tell him that you like him before he leaves." Yujin suggested. "Who knows when will you two see each other again? Unless he goes back here in Japan after a few years or you and your mom goes to Korea."

One week, I thought. Can I do it within one week?

---

a/n: omg this already reached 4k reads >< thanks to my dear readers!! ❤ also, four of the concept photos were already  released (the hyung line are so handsome jfdjnd) but i still have to wait 6 days for dohyon's 😤