30. Unwanted Fear

I breathed carefully, doing my best to handle the time with Jazz out of my sight. In front of me laid the tons of metal that made up Optimus's new tech. I felt like I was violating Jetfire's parts as I dug through, trying to think of how I would have to modify it.

But then I remember than Jetfire willingly gave his parts to Optimus and I didn't want to break his last wish.

I feared though that all of this would have to be melted down and reformed. Some of it was salvageable and that was what I was currently saving as I disassembled the conjoined pieces, laying them out according to condition of the piece.

I currently sat, feeling bad as I used my tools to peel off the paint but I needed to see under the tech to properly convert it to something Optimus could use.

Jazz was currently helping unload the shipment of metal from that cave that Sideswipe and the twins had gone to. I am sure Ratchet was ecstatic to be able to have new metal.

Turned out Sideswipe and the twins discovered it was a deposit, possibly something originally placed there by ancient cybertronians, but it held no shape or form and dated to around the same time as when the Pyramid energon source was created.

I fixed my wing, having to have Ratchet's help as the metal was completely folded in on itself. It really did a lot of damage and my senses still don't feel the same, but I am growing used to it.

I had been feeling anxious and on edge since Jazz admitted to hearing me from beyond the grave, so to speak. I didn't know how to feel about him hearing those thoughts and didn't understand how he heard them. They were just that, thoughts.

There was so much I don't understand about my powers.

I growled as the tool I was using to peel the paint back bent and I threw it at the wall in a rage. My emotions had been all over the place and I was afraid to let those know about the change. I had the awful feeling that watching Jazz die for me had affected me somehow, but I hid it well.

I remember having a few panic attacks as a kid after my mother hit the bumper of another car and this felt eerily similar. It felt like someone was choking me anytime Jazz disappeared from my sight.

And it angered me. I was stronger than this, so I would handle it on my own.

I reached up and rubbed my temples, doing my best to control my breathing, which had been shallow since Jazz disappeared to help unloading an hour ago.

"Dustwing, I come to offer some help with Optimus's new... are your alright?" I heard Ratchet say, entering my hanger.

I breathed deeply, pulled up my mask and smiled at Ratchet.

"Yes, I am fine. Got a little.... mad at this piece, it broke one of my tools." I said, gesturing to the bent tool stuck in the wall. Ratchet stared at it before looking at me as my shoulders tensed in embarrassment.

"Quite unlike you to throw tools in your rage. Then again, it is quite uncommon for you to get mad." Ratchet stated.

"Yes, well, it has been a long and stressful few weeks." I said, walking to my shelf and digging through for a suitable replacement for the broken tool. Ratchet remained silent and I felt uncomfortable under his scrutinizing gaze as I pulled out a tool, moving back to what I was doing.

"You know, I have had to learn Jazz's techniques in hiding his true emotions just to make sure I can sometimes give him a monthly check up. Don't think I don't recognize you using the same tactics." Ratchet said in the same stern voice as when I wouldn't hold still as he repaired wounds I had gotten.

I frowned minutely, gritting my teeth.

"I said I am fine, Ratchet. Now, you said you came to help?" I said a bit tensely.