34. Memories

Jazz and I laid on the floor of my hanger, staring at the roof and holding servos. This was my favorite time of the day, early in the morning when the base had yet to start moving. Jazz and I could sit here, exchanging memories, thoughts, and everything else.

Currently I was showing him a memory of my brother....

I cautiously walked up to the door of the little house, feeling awkward. A years and a half had passed since I said more than two words to my brother. I had called and asked if I could visit the next week and he said that was great.

So here I was, big city girl, standing awkwardly in front of a cute little house in a small town. Anthony Gamberly's interestingly odd sister who works for the government. I was dressed in duller colors than I usually wore and felt oddly uncomfortable out of a lab-coat and scrubs.

I cautiously reached up, fist held over the door as I took a deep breath, lightly knocking.

Not even a second passed after I knocked when I heard the scrambling of little feet and suddenly the door opened to a little girl of red hair and the family's signature green eyes.

A little spitting image of my brother, of me, of my mother.

I blinked in shock, staring at the young one.

"Audrey, where is your manners?" I heard a familiar voice say, making me look up quickly to see my brother, well into his 30's now.

Where had the time gone?

"Hello, this is the Gam-ber-ly residence, how can I help you?" The little female did her best to pronounce, clearly still learning to talk. Maybe 4, or close to it.

I didn't even know I had a niece.

"Good girl, how about you go help your mother set the table, squirt?" My brother said, ruffling the child's hair as she squealed, racing back into the house away from his hands as she giggled.

I stared after the direction the little one had gone.

"Sorry.... I didn't give you much warning in that short call, did I?" My brother said awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck with a sheepish grin.

I rolled my eyes, "Only you, Ant, would forget to tell me I have a niece. How is Amber?" I asked as he let me in. I parked my luggage carefully out of the pathway, not wanting the little one to run into it.

I had been at there wedding seven years ago. Apparently I missed a lot in the calls.

"Good, good. She seemed a bit nervous about you visiting, so try to keep the scientific talk to a minimum please?" Anthony nearly begged.

I chuckled, "Alright, as long as you tell me when the little one's birthday is so I can send a gift." I said.

"Deal." Anthony said, holding out a hand, which I shook before we dissolved into laughter.

"Dear, what are you two laughing about?" Amber asked, rounding the corner. Amber was an amazing person, studying agriculture at the college my brother went to when they hit it off. Her soft brown curls and brilliant blue eyes gave her the look of a soft bookworm, one you would see working hard and quietly in the background of a classroom.

She is the exact opposite, fiery and strong enough to temper my brother's personality well. Anthony smiled at Amber, pulling her close and kissing her, love poring off the two like nuts.

"Ew! Mommy and Daddy being gross!" The little one cried, making me laugh as she was picked up and tossed in the air by Anthony, the little family so full of love and care.