51. The Bonds We Share

I slowly blinked open my optics, feeling warmth around me, though I couldn't quite place how. I looked down, seeing white metal covered with blue and red lines holding me securely and felt a familiarity in the situation. I suddenly realised that I am in my hideout, and Jazz is behind me, leaning against one of the pillars.

I felt him shift slightly under me, pulling me closer as he rested his chin on top of my head. I closed my optics tight, both torn at the pain I caused him and enjoying the comfort he is offering me. I placed my servo over his arms, holding onto him to feel more grounded.

My emotions were making me feel like I was being pushed around by waves.

"Ah don' understand..." Jazz suddenly spoke, making me aware of the fact that he isn't asleep. His voice telling me he hasn't been recharging at all like I did, after my... episode. I winced at that, remembering breaking down in Jazz's arms, every pain I have been suffering rushing out of me like a flood.

But, Jazz didn't sound mad or guilty or sad, no he sounded... confused? His voice was quiet in the dark of the cave, neither of us turned on the lights in here so it is dark and quiet.

I leaned into him more, breathing in his smell and sighing as I relaxed against him.

"What don't you understand?" I whispered quietly, exhaustedly. I really was exhausted, all of that pain flowing out of me like bad blood. I just focused on the comfort of Jazz being here and didn't really let my thoughts drift.

"Ah feel... something odd." Jazz said in confusion, pulling me closer. I frowned minutely at that, realizing the bond is more open than it's been since we first bonded, when neither of us could really control what we showed the other...

My optics flew open in shock, as I realised why Jazz was feeling something odd.

I first became aware of the protective instinctual feel that Jazz was confused by, something he didn't understand, which was part of why I was curled up in his lap, his arm secure around me, like he was protecting me.

Then I felt the innocent, joyful feel, and it isn't aimed at me. I stared ahead through the dark of the caves in shock. I could tell suddenly that Jazz still felt tremendous guilt at making me flinch, scared of his anger, and was torn and in pain from being angry with me.

And the sparkling was trying to comfort him. I stayed still, being careful about what I think, as I listened as the sparkling continued to try to cheer Jazz up, Jazz very confused because he isn't aware of the sparkling's existence. Yet, while Jazz's mind isn't aware of the sparkling, his instincts seem to be.

I suddenly realised Jazz is instinctively protective of the sparkling, and he doesn't even know it. I feel like this situation just became a lot more delicate. I gripped tighter onto his arm, realising it was protectively held over my stomach.

Well, this might prove to be a problem.

I can't keep him in the dark any longer.

"...Jazz?" I said carefully, the wariness I feel going across the bond without my wanting it to. I couldn't even block anything, I was too exhausted. Jazz tensed, seeming aware now that I had something to tell him. I sighed.

"I'm too exhausted to even block the bond and tell this to you the right way... I'm just going to show you. Try not to... panic too much, please?" I whispered, Jazz tensing even more as he hugged me closer. The sparkling fell silent, a flicker of fear coming from the sparkling as it felt Jazz's wariness and darker emotions.

Almost instantly, I felt Jazz's emotions change, almost like he was trying to comfort the sparkling. The sparkling felt safe and loved and, with me now awake and aware, feel into exhaustion. I forgot the expressing himself or herself takes a lot out of the sparkling.