Kicked an Angel: Part 3 [Gabriel X Reader]

The bookshop was definitely chaotic. It was something that stunned you when you walked in. For an angel, you were expecting some unnerving order. This chaos, however, made you feel at home and welcomed. You smiled as you looked around before turning to see the other angel following you inside. He looked uncomfortable.

"If you want to learn what's good and what's evil, you need to start with apologizing for the shit you tried to pull," you told the violet-eyed man.

He sighed and nodded before walking around. "Aziraphale?"

There was a sound of scrambling before a redhead ran out from the back and glared daggers at Gabriel. "What are you doing here?" he hissed.

"I came here to apologize," Gabriel said keeping his head held high.

"You really think you can come in here and apologize after what you've done?" the man questioned while struggling to keep his voice at an acceptable level. "If it weren't for Aziraphale begging me not to, I'd kill you."

Gabriel didn't utter another syllable. Though, you could tell he was getting annoyed. Sighing, you decided to step in. "If they don't want to, they don't have to listen to your apology or forgive you. That's what happens when people make mistakes. They don't owe you anything."

"I'm trying to do the right thing!" Gabriel argued.

"Yeah, well, you shouldn't have done the wrong thing in the first place. That's your problem, not theirs." You placed your hands on your hips and glared up at him.

"Who are you?" the red-headed man asked with a great deal of confusion.

"An idiot," you responded before dragging Gabriel out of the bookshop. "Alright, so you tried and that's all you can do. It's up to you if you want to try at a later time, but for now, you need to just leave them alone."

"Fine."

You sighed and looked around, trying to figure out exactly how to teach this insufferable angel what is actually good or evil. Shouldn't he know that? Then, an idea came to you. With a sly grin, you motioned for him to follow you.

There was a grocery store nearby and you made your way inside. "One way people build trust and community is through food. Do you actually eat?"

"Ew, no." Gabriel wrinkled his nose at the thought.

You grabbed a few things as you walked around and eventually checked out with them. As you left the building, you dug through a bag and brought out an apple. You handed it to the angel who looked at it with slight disgust. "Eat it."

"You want me to eat an apple?" Gabriel looked at you as though you were insane.

Nodding your head, you said, "Yes. It'll be a sort of poetic way for you to dive into the realm of what is actually good and evil, right? Become a human! Be Eve!" Sighing, Gabriel hesitantly took a bite out of the apple. "Although, there are sometimes worms in apples."

Gabriel nearly choked on the chunk of fruit in his mouth. "What's worms?"

You looked at him stunned. "Do you actually not know?"

"No!"

With a sigh, you grabbed the hand not holding an apple and started to pull him towards a bench. You plopped down on it with a huff and he followed suit, although with much more dignity. Leaning forward, you pulled your cellphone out of your back pocket and pulled up your web browser. You pulled up pictures of worms and showed your phone to the angel.

"Those are in this?" He looked at the apple in disgust.

"No, I was joking. But these are worms. They help plants grow by eating dead material and fertilizing the ground. They might look gross, but they're very important. Pretty much every living thing can be vital to its environment," you explained with a bored tone, as if you've explained this a thousand times to disinterested people before.

"Is that so?" Gabriel looked at the apple and took another bite.

You looked at him with slight curiosity. "What exactly are you in charge of?"

"I'm a manager in Heaven. I oversee the major events that are supposed to take place on Earth."

"And yet you almost never set foot on Earth?"

"Correct."

You hummed to yourself and started fiddling on your phone before you pulled up your photo album of things you've either downloaded or taken pictures of. Then, you paused for a moment. You looked between your phone and Gabriel. Sighing, you handed your phone to Gabriel.

"These are things that make me happy," you said quietly. "For me, this is what's good. When you're a person, you have to learn to enjoy the little things, otherwise this world can become a bit too much."

"What do you mean by too much?"

You frowned and ran your finger along the grooves of the bench you were sitting on. "War, sickness, pollution, poverty, death. All of it can be really, really overwhelming. If you're not careful, you can get depressed or anxious. Even if you are careful, it can still happen..." Swallowing down some emotions that managed to show themselves, you turned towards the angel that was going through your phone. "What makes you happy?"

His thumb froze mid-swipe. Did he like anything? All he did was work. Never sleep. Just work. Did he even like working?

"Talking to you," he said simply.

A snort came out of your nose before you burst out into a full-on laugh. Gabriel looked at you, allowing a grin to form on his own face as well. "We just met! I kicked you earlier! And you're saying you like talking to me?"

"Yes," Gabriel said so sure of himself.

"Come on," you said and nudged him. "There's gotta be something else."

Gabriel thought for a moment. "I like the color lilac and butterflies."

"Those are nice," you encouraged. "What else?"

"That's it."

You frowned. "What do you mean, that's it?"

Gabriel sighed. "I haven't had much time to like anything else."

"Never?"

"Never."

You felt the blood in your veins freeze. This explained so much about him. What kind of god didn't allow their workers to enjoy the life that they created? It wasn't right.

"We're going to change that," you said. Now, you weren't just trying to make up for kicking him. You were actually determined in showing him the beauty of life.