Chapter 19 - X-Tale

(Y/N)'s POV
As I was waiting for X-Tale to update on its story, I read a bunch of other AU books, mainly on the big ones I'm associated with like Dreamtale and others. When I was in the middle of reading Aftertale, I felt a change. That must be X-Tale. I closed the Aftertale book and took a look into X-Tale again. This time so much more was written, the whole story.

Years after X-Tale!Frisk shattered the barrier, X-Tale!Sans and X-Tale!Papyrus are both heading towards the town hall, in which X-Tale!Undyne surprises both out of nowhere and takes Frisk. This turned out to be a test, however, Sans was acting much stranger than he ever was, especially when he tried to kill X-Tale!Frisk. After the two are taken home by XGaster, he determines if he should overwrite or not. Meanwhile, Sans begins dreaming of X-Event!Chara, and he feels as if his soul was slowly being corrupted. While at a ceremony to promote peace, Sans nearly kills X-Tale!Frisk had not XGaster intervened. He flees, only to be caught by X-Tale!Mettaton. Before he could explain to his brother, the time resets again, this time with the ceremony going on normally.

As it turns out, both X-Event!Frisk (under the influence of X-Event!Chara) and XGaster are both fighting against each other for control of the timeline, and that this timeline was rewritten 10 times thanks to the power of overwriting. Despite showing Sans the motivation to kill them, Sans's refusal leads to a battle which ends up getting Sans his signature scar, and the name "Cross". XGaster resets the timeline, but Cross still has his scar from the battle earlier. As both him and Papyrus head out to town hall with X-Event!Frisk, X-Tale!Undyne tells Cross that he's no longer needed, and as he struggles against the battle that is going against him, XGaster is getting his treatment with everyone from X-Tale except Alphys.

As he's dying, he reminds the X-Event that they'll never find his other half and that he'll always be watching them failing to get it in vain. Realizing his refusal, X-Event!Frisk goes back to attack XGaster, but his plan is halted after Cross enters in, using blue magic on nearly everyone except Papyrus and eventually kills them and his brother. In the meantime, XGaster asks X-Tale!Alphys to store all of his entries, seeing that his death kills the universe. With the majority of the main cast dead, Cross proceeds to absorb the powers of the X-Event, which he does by taking the soul of X-Event. However, his status as a monster, and X-Tale!Frisk's death from him, meant the universe was dead on arrival and he is unable to overwrite at all. That is, until he came.

Goodness, that was a bit of a story. Still, there are some parts that I am curious and confused about. I flipped through the pages until I reached to Cross's description. Before I could read anything, I heard a portal open. I got up from my desk and looked downstairs to see Ink. What brings him here today? Visiting? News? Whatever it is, it's nice to see him again. I teleported downstairs to greet him.

"Ink! What brings you here?"

He giggles, "Just here to visit but I also brought someone with me!" Then out steps Cross from the portal, "This is Cross! He's from X-Tale."

"Oh! I've read a little bit about your universe, Cross. It's great to meet you. I'm (Y/N), the caretaker of the AUs."

Cross nods, "It's nice to meet you too."

"(Y/N)," Ink started, "Can you show Cross around? I need to take care of some things first."

I nod, "It'd be a pleasure...!" Ink smiled and waved goodbye to the both of us before leaving. I look over to Cross, "Welcome! This is the AU Library, it has all the Alternate Universes and timelines, feel free to look around."

"... Even mine?"

I nod, "I actually read a bit of it before you came here. Would you like to have a tour around?" He nods. I happily showed him around the library, even showing some of the AU books. We made it upstairs and I gave him a short tour there, then he noticed his book on my desk. He takes the book and flips through the pages. I sat down on my desk, "Interesting, huh? Is it like your universe?" I asked him.

"Yeah..."

I giggled, "Would you like to read the other AU books?"

"Sure..."

I got off my desk, "Which ones are you interested in? ... Or do you want me to surprise you?" He nods. I looked through the shelves and picked out random AUs that caught my eye like Dusttale, Horrortale, Underfell, all of that. I placed the books on my desk then I noticed a strange figure next to Cross. I looked over to him, it was Chara. I don't think they know that I can see them but I'll just ignore it for now.

"Is there a book about your universe?" Cross asked.

I cleared my throat, "There is... but it's quite unusual. You see, this universe didn't start out with me being a guardian, I went through a lot. And geez, it really worked me down to the BONE." I winked at him, "And here I am, not much different from before but more SHELF aware now." I giggled.

"... Are you serious...?" Chara said.

I point to Chara, "Hey now, kid. Don't act like I can't hear or see you."

"You can see them...?" Cross asked.

I nod, "I see many things... but would you like to read my book?"

"Sure..."

Cross's POV
She teleported away then in a few seconds, she reappeared back with a book in her hands. She handed me the book, it had her name on the cover. I opened the book and started to read her beginning. Her birth story was unusual but still quite interesting; a result of an experiment and a similar situation with her younger sister. Not long after her sister's birth, her father died and she had to take responsibility for taking care of her sister. For all of her life, she lived in Snowdin, protecting and raising her younger sister.

Her story seemed to be the regular pacifist route, she was set free and lived happily with Frisk and her other friends. However, something happened, the book doesn't say the exact details, but her world was destroyed. She felt hopeless and lost, like a wilting flower. Soon, she managed to regain her strength and determination to live in honor for her sister. She traveled through some Alternate Universes and met Core Frisk. In a matter of time, she got a new universe and was given the title of the Caretaker of the Alternate Universes. And from there, her story continues.

"When you finish reading, you're welcome to look around for more books...!" (Y/N) smiled.

I nodded and closed the book, "... (Y/N)?" She looks over to me, "How can you see Chara?"

She giggles, "Honestly... I'm not sure!"

"Is she serious...?" Chara mutters.

"Oh come on, at least have some SPIRIT when you talk." (Y/N) winks.

I chuckled, "... When are we leaving?!" Chara said.

"Hey now, don't my jokes tickle your funny BOO-ne?"