Contraption

Pearl and Maui sat eyes a glow, in the dark foyer. It was about half an hour after their beloved dads would usually ring the dinner bell.

Something wasn't right and the fluffy duo meowed at the suspended delay. Just before the cats gave up on their owners, the door handle shook wildly.

This scared them, sending Maui up the stairs and Pearl into the under caves of the couch. Mumbo shoved the door open and entered the estate with Grian following behind him.

"Dinner was really good, we should go out more often," Grian said as he locked the front door then chucked his shoes into the closet.

Mumbo chuckled finding his statement amusing. "That means a lot, coming from you." Grian didn't find it as unusual and disagreed.

"Whatever, as long as we can remember to feed the cats at 7." "My poor babies must be starving." Grian moved to the kitchen to fix the cats some dinner.

Maui could be heard moving down the stairs and he eyed Mumbo in malice as he was plucked from the last step and into his arms.

"Why are you moaning at me anyway, I'm the one who said we should have left earlier." Mumbo was genuinely stumped.

Grain's face then took on a childish curiosity at Mumbo's retort, "I-It was a joke Mumbo." Mumbo placed Maui on the ground so he could eat and took Grian's hand with his own leading him to the back garden.

"Now that you've got some food in you, do you want to watch me workout," Mumbo questioned the blonde cheekily. (Grian got caught creeping on him once.)

"That was one time, but no I've got work to do." Grian pecked Mumbo on the cheek and then bounded up the stairs and into the confines of his office.

After laughing at Grian's antics, Mumbo then unlocked the shed and removed his equipment. He didn't plan on going too hard, even if he only had a small dinner. (don't eat right before you work out.)

Mumbo warmed up his body with some good old jumping jacks, before moving onto stretching he flipped on some music. (Team S.T.A.R vs G Team diss-track.)

~Meanwhile~

Grian's pov

I was sat in my office starring into space. I just kind of forgot what I was supposed to be doing. When the daze cleared I noticed that I had finished setting up the recording equipment.

It couldn't have taken me more than ten minutes. One thing I know helps when this happens is to just start.

"Hello, my name is Grian and today I'm...." "Well you see, I'm not quite sure what we will be doing today."

I did have an idea planned, but it just seems a bit over ambitious now. Should I just scrap it and do something spontaneous or just stick to my plan.

Why is this a constant struggle for me. The first step to over coming your struggles is to acknowledge that you have them.

My exaggerated sigh was amplified by the microphone. "Now what do I do."

After letting out a groan of frustration I then face planted onto my desk. "That didn't sound very good." said a tired Mumbo, making his way up the stairs.

"Mumbooo!" I moan loudly. "I'm coming, I'm coming." Said Mumbo wiping the sweat off his forehead.

Mumbo climbs the steps two at a time to reach the filming room. "Mumbo I need you to help me with something, please?" Mumbo could tell that I was struggling to function.

He moved closer to the distressed mess that I am and took a look over my shoulder to see that I was working on a hermitcraft episode. The one the fans have all been waiting for, I was finally building an item sorting storage system.

Mumbo's pov

Upon entering Grian's office which was usually somewhat organized it was shocking to see it's current state of chaos.

"May I ask what's gone on hear?" I asked running a hand through the defeated mans fringe in a comforting motion.

Grian liked this and looked up at me for more strokes. Smiling sweetly at Mr. Blue eyes, I gave him what he wanted.

Sooner then later Grian would have to tell me what was wrong. "Alright then, tell me what's wrong," I demanded in the same sweet nature.

Removing Grian's glasses was one way to ground him as he had to try hard to focus on the nearest thing to him, me. I silently asked him for permission before slipping the frames off the older man.

Grian grabbed the microphone from the desk and held it to his lips. "I might need a bit of your help." He looked up at me shyly awaiting my reply.

I tapped Grian's thigh telling him to get up and he obeyed. Then I popped myself into the rejected chair and placed the shorter man in my lap adjusting him to my liking.

 Then I popped myself into the rejected chair and placed the shorter man in my lap adjusting him to my liking

~Art by me~

Peeking from behind Grian's shoulder, I was able to see what he had started. A mess of unlit redstone torches, repeaters, and note blocks.

"Be honest, how bad is it?" Asked Grian while squeezing his eyes shut. Truth was that it wasn't even that bad.

"Well you have a few of the things needed, and you can just chuck those torches." Grian curiously follows along with his eyes, watching me make his redstone contraption function correctly.

"Yeah, those really aren't gonna do you much good." I destroy the last torch cleaning up the redstone and place an input chest above a hopper, and now it's ready for testing.

"Thanks Gumbo, now I'm gonna have to admit defeat to my subscribers... again." Grian's declaration was not a surprise to Mumbo but, he decided not to rub it in as he would need Grian's master skills in return one day.

. . . .

About the art - it didn't fully turn out the way I hoped but I had fun drawing it, isn't that what really matters?

I hope you liked this one, go ahead and comment if you have any suggestions for future chapters or Grumbo related art for that matter.