Passing Buses - Part 1

This is a collaboration with Wolves_All_Around and the Part 2 can be found on their book called Probably Bad Hermitcraft Crap (shippy edition). I hope you enjoy what we've come up with.

Prompt: Mumbo and Grian are bus drivers and they radio each other all the time, even though they probably shouldn't. On day the new guy is caught eavesdropping on their conversation, how will Mumbo and Grian take it when they find out.

. . .

"You doing eastbound today?" Grian says to the taller man as he rubbed his hands together to keep warm.

"Yeah, how about you?" Mumbo replays looking at the red on Grian's cheeks. Grian was really cold, probably because of how much smaller he was and it was there that Mumbo decided that he should let Grian take the first bus.

It wouldn't only benefit Grian but also the people waiting for the eastbound bus too. When the first bus pulls up Mumbo pats Grian on the shoulder and sends him off.

"Hey, radio me if you wanna talk." Grian shouts behind him.

He stops at the door and turns towards Mumbo when he doesn't get a reply. When he turns around Mumbo is smiling at him and he blinks back into really.

"Uh yeah, of course." Mumbo answers trying to be polite but truth was he didn't really know if that was possible.

"What's the matter this time?" Grian asks rolling his eyes and shuffling back up to where Mumbo was standing.

By this time Grian's bus was getting full of eastbound riders because he was missing so many lights trying to get Mumbo to explain his worry.

"It's just that I have to ask False if she's fine with it an-"

"Mumbo it's fine, she literally won't care." Grian could tell that Mumbo was still worried but he really did have to get back to his bus.

"It's gonna be okay, okay?" Grian squeezed his arm reassuring Mumbo and he answered back.

"Okay" he nodded smiling again.

"M-kay" Grian made his way back onto his bus and when he was settled in his seat he did a little wave to Mumbo.

. . .

Mumbo was stopped a few spaces before the bus stop with a bus full of anxious teens and older people trying to get to work and school on time for once.

He was stuck behind the bus and there was a car between him and the bus, he would usually be anxious that he was blocking an intersection. The high schoolers were literally knocking at the back doors for him to open up. Mumbo knew he wasn't supposed to open the doors until he was stopped at the proper stops and so he made a compromise.

"Alright if you're getting off at Smartwalk Ave make your way to the front doors and I'll let you off there."

He could tell people were annoyed but he really couldn't be letting people off the back of the bus when it was halfway blocking the road.

A few of the polite students said thank you as they made their way off the shuttle and Mumbo smiled returning their kindness.

*static radio sound

Mumbo picked up the handheld radio and held it to his ear. He tried to make out the sounds and words that were being spoken but he was really bad at it.

"Sorry, say that one more time?" He said now holding the device to his lips and clicking a button to make sure his message was received.

"I said, how's it going over on old southbound?" Grian says with a sassy tone, he hated repeating himself.