Part One: Evan's Prologue

EVAN WOLFE

1.

When you lose your parents, you don't have the chance to think about how you're going to cope without them. Because once they're gone, they're gone. Then you just have to adjust.

And when they were gone I was left with my brother, Lucien.

What my parents failed to see was that my brother was a psychopath. He was dangerous and he was chaotic. Yet my parents still saw him as the golden boy, my dad couldn't wait to give him his Alpha title. My dad saw so many good qualities in him, strength, commitment and determination.

All I saw was a manipulative, twisted boy who always just wanted to get his way.

When my parents suspiciously died my brother wasn't sad, I didn't see him cry once. He just took the pack on his back and acted like nothing had happened. I knew that he had something to do with it, I knew he was that power hungry.

My parents died when I was twelve, Lucien became the Alpha at sixteen.

That's when everything started going downhill.

That's when he brainwashed the rest of the pack into thinking and believing in the same views as him. The views he had on women, the views he had on authority, the view he had on mates.

Giving him that Alpha title was like giving him a loaded gun, he just destroyed everything around him. He had no remorse, he had no emotions. He was a cold blooded monster and I was terrified of him.

2.

When I was fourteen Lucien told all of his male pack members that if they found their mate, they were to be kidnapped and brought back to the pack house.

I saw many girls come and go and I felt sick to my stomach. What they did to those girls was unspeakable and I just sat back and watched like a passive audience member. I hated myself. I hated that I never did anything, those girls suffered.

Lucien would try and force me to take part in their vile activities but I refused, I wasn't like them. I couldn't be that inhumane.

So I got beaten black and blue instead.

I was scared for when Lucien would find his mate because I knew how vile he would be, it would be a hundred times worse for her.

3.

When I was fifteen my worst nightmare came true. Lucien had found his mate but what made it worse was that she was human.

He found this as a way to humiliate her more because to him she was weak and she was an embarrassment.

Her name was Ava and she was scared, she was petrified.

I remember her dark brown eyes locking with mine in fear as she got dragged away into Lucien's pit to please his men.

I also remember crying so hard that my eyes burned red.

Now I wished that I did more, I wished that I could have done something. I was a coward.

The only thing I knew for sure was that if I tried to stop them, Lucien would have killed me and he would have never looked back.