Chapter 25

Sean's POV

"Do you think I should ask her?"

"Ahan, I see."
I mumbled.

"What? I don-Sean! Are you dozing off?!"
Suddenly, the high pitch squeal directed towards me by Leila pinched me hard enough to drive out any fragments of sleep consuming me.

"What? No! How could you even think...tha-"
I was trying to reply but the sleep was being inconsiderate of me.
Before I could even finish saying what I intended to, I was again dozing off.

All that I could hear was a deep, frustrated and exhausted sigh being let go, unconsciously.

"Leila, what is it? What were you saying? I...didn't doze off, I just zoned out. Please, continue."
I requested her being over smart and yet again getting lost in the darkness of the night as well as my bedroom at 2 am.

"Sean, you're the one who's half asleep not me."
She answered in a firm voice.

"Yeah, I know, I know."
I again mumbled something, uncontrollably.

I was trying to concentrate, now it was another thing that I couldn't do so.

"Sean...why's everything's so messed up? Why there always have to be these sickening twists?"
These words reached me, clearly telling me how Leila had undergone a trance.

Surprisingly, my sleep flew away in a nonexistent swish as if it was never there in the first place.

Great, even my body works according to my mate and not me.
Just great.

I sighed, this time out of dullness rather than exhaustion.

"Leila, love, why do you keep thinking of things that you - or possibly no one - can change?"
I asked with a genuine smile slipping on my lips before my realization.

"I don't. They just keep on hitting me. Each time harder than before. If only, we could change the course of life a little. Just a little would do perfectly fine."

She had this excitement in her voice that I wasn't sure whether I should've held her back or just let her continue her wishful-dreaming.

I could imagine her imagination running wild and making her reimage and relive every memory we had together, just the say she wanted.

"Leila, one thing I've learnt being on this throne is - time and fate are two complex things and messing with them altogether doesn't have a single hint of intellect.

When you feel vulnerable and powerless against these two, just let it go. For it'd only drown you to bring the best out of you.

Unconsciously, in this World, time and fate actually groom us, making us feel defenseless so when the life hits us with something similar, we'd do everything to fight back."

I had tried real hard to make her understand to stop fighting against something she can't.

"I do get your idea. But only if-"

"If only ifs would be even just a tiny bit of influential against what has been planned for us, make-believes would run this World."

She just sighed in replied and went silent.

Leila was a mature, practical girl. I knew she'd understand without resisting.

"You're right. I should step out of I wishs and If onlys. Besides, it's not like I'm missing out on something greater. If having to live like this hasn't offered me something as ordinary as I desired, it is at least still mine."
She said with this sweet, heart touching determination.