Chapter 29

Max's POV

The last day with Emily was amazing. It was funny how a few hours could excite one so much.

I was in my office, daydreaming about Em and I when I got a call.

"Hello. I am William Odrio, ID no. 4544308, a spy appointed by the Royal Federation of Wild Heights to look for a criminal named Michael Drogg. Am I talking to the royal officer, Mr. Max?" The person started speaking as soon as I had picked the call.

"Yes, you are," I answered with utter seriousness. The way William's voice could give you goosebumps was scary.

"We have spotted the criminal in a small hut near the Teary Lake about 3 miles from the Wild Heights.
Disguised in a white plain T-shirt, blue jeans and a brown jacket with a black p-cap. This situation calls out for an emergency operation."

"Inform the official teams and I'll tell the king. We'll meet you there in mere minutes."
I ordered, well-calculating the demand of the time.

"Yes, sir!"
With a firm agreement, we both hanged the call.

I ran out of my office while dialing Sean's number.

He had informed me already that he won't be coming today.

"Yeah, hello?" Sean said in a gasping voice.

"The Michael Drogg guy has been sighted at the Teary Lake."
I shot as soon as I got the chance.

"Got it." With that, Sean hanged the call.

I could only wait for him to come. Maybe, this was it. The moment when this game of hide and seek would be over.

.....

In about 15 minutes Sean had arrived at the office and now we both were driving to the area of sight.

The whole team of investigators and officers was following closely behind. Everyone was silent. At this moment, I felt like history was repeating itself. 

That same rebarbative anxiety, the old abrading despair. That silent hurt, every single one of them incising the pain all over again on the nostalgic wounds.

All the cars came to a halt about half a mile from the Teary Lake which was situated on the outskirts of the Wild Heights.

The time seemed to stop as if the air itself was struggling to breathe. 

Sean, I and all the officers got out of cars and started to proceed towards the lake with dead silence since we didn't want Michael to use his supersense and catch us.

It was a beautiful, strangely satisfying sight. The lake seemed to pour away all the evil nearby. As if it was just a rumor and the pure was forever.

All the officers looked towards Sean who, after analyzing the whole scene and making sure, nodded.

In a flash, all the officers, along with me and Sean, supersped towards the hut so we could catch the criminal before he even got the chance to know that we were after him. It was like a hundred streaks of lightning bolting at once.

The small hut had been circumscribed from all directions. There was no way out for the criminal to escape except through us or death. Both in our favor.

All the officers, dressed in formal dresses and holding their guns out, sat on one knee and awaited the orders. The bullets in the gun had been coated with venomous serum. If scraped through a vampire's skin, it would activate and burn it till the skin dissolves in thin air.

Sean, I and a few investigators were standing still and facing the door.

We didn't plan on busting into the house. The strategy was simple. Make the criminal vulnerable. Wait till he finds himself helpless and surrenders himself.