Chapter 5

P. O. V. Ella

I opened the door to my cabin immediately getting the sense that I wasn't alone here but I didn't react to the feeling as I carefully made my way to the bed then suddenly the door slammed shut and I was tackled to the bed and the assailant pinned my arms above me as they said "You need some more practice little one."
I said "Hello Jake, I see you once again caught me unawares. Unless I saw you coming and was merely waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike!" as I said strike I kicked outward catching him directly in his most sensitive spot causing him to bend forward as I quickly stood up knocking his head with my hand sending him to the floor where I pinned his arms behind his back saying, "Never underestimate your enemy."
he started laughing which made me laugh as he said "Alright, alright I cede." I released him then helped him up and we sat on the bed and I pulled a blanket over our shoulders as we cuddled and he said "So what took you so long?"
I said "Not enough power to go full speed is all."
he hugged me closer and I felt power flood my body as he said "Better?"
I hummed in pleasure as warmth coursed through me then there was a knock at the door and I quickly moved away from him whispering, "Go!" Which he did disappearing from view with a small puff of maroon smoke which I quickly waved away with my hand as the door opened to admit Moonstone and I sighed in relief that it wasn't who I thought it was Moonstone was the nicest to me and he said "You're back."
I said "Yep."
he said "And you got the human." I nodded as he closed the door behind him and sat on the bed right where Jacob had been a moment ago and he ran his hands through his blue hair roughly as he said "Good thing, because we found something out about that human."
I sat next to him and said curiously "What?"
he stared at the door for a long time before taking a deep breath turning to me and saying "He's the captains soul mate."
I sucked in a breath sharply at that knowing that a demon's soul mate was the link to their life if one was killed or hurt then the other felt it and when the soul mates were left without one another for too long then they became weak and eventually died but that took thousands of years and I had never heard of a human being a soul mate before. I had a soulmate of course every demon did and most on the ship knew my soul mate was Jacob but that didn't stop Moonstone from liking me and I said "So that's why he stayed?"
Moonstone shrugged then said "Could be, but who knows." I nodded as a knock sounded at the door and Moonstone stood quickly saying "I'll get it."
I shook my head as I grabbed his arm sitting him back down as I said "No you won't. I'm more than capable of opening a door." and I went to open the door. I opened the door to see Gregory I held back a sigh as he smiled, but I could tell he was angry by the look in his eyes and he said "Hello Ella."
I knew the tone of his voice meant I had left something undone yet again but all that came out was "Hello Gregory."
he looked into my room and upon seeing Moonstone in there he looked back at me raising an eyebrow knowingly as he said "Having fun?"
I glared back saying, "Not the kind your thinking of."
he lowered his head so we were face to face as he said quietly "Good, because I'd hate to have to tell your soulmate that your cheating on him."
I knew he was baiting me he wanted me to get angry but I had dealt with this before and I breathed in deeply making my breath as indistinct as possible before I said "Surely you know better?"
he straightened still smiling as he said "Of course, but surely you know better as well?"
I saw him glance behind me at Moonstone and I turned to him putting on a fake smile as I said "Excuse me a moment." and before Moonstone could protest I shut the door.

when I turned around the smile had slipped off Gregory's face, replaced by a scowl of anger as he said "You left before the chores were done." I inwardly winced at his tone while maintaining my outward appearance of complete calm as I replied coolly "The captain had orders for me and I respond to him before you." I saw anger flash through his eyes as he whispered harshly, "You're the weakest demon here, little girl so I suggest you show a bit more humility before I put you in your place. Now I expect the chores to be done before nightfall or I promise you. You won't wake up." I stood my ground remembering what Jane told me yesterday 'he can't hurt you if you don't let him' and I said "You wouldn't dare to hurt me because you know the consequences of such actions." he growled lowly at me saying, "And you know the consequences of a snitch." I shivered slightly at a distant memory but before I could say anything the captain walked by and he saw the way Gregory was standing over me as he said "What's going on here?" I jumped at the sound of his voice as Gregory quickly straightened up plastering on the fake smile he had just moments ago with Moonstone as he turned to the captain slinging an arm around my shoulders which I shrunk slightly away from but his hold tightened on me as he said with fake concern, "Nothing captain I was just making sure she was ok I heard she had a run in with Tad and was checking up on her mental health. I know how that place brings up old memories." and he pulled me closer to him in what could be considered a friendly manner, but I knew better as I placed my hands between the two of us.the captain relaxed slightly as he turned to me and said "That so Ella?" I glanced up at Gregory who continued looking at the captain but I saw him nod his head slightly as I said, "Yes captain." I stared at the ground as I spoke and I heard him in my head say 'Ella are you telling the truth?' I tried to hide my fear from him but I knew he had already felt it as I said 'yes' but I could tell he didn't believe me as he said out loud "Good. Then you won't mind if I borrow her for a while will ya'?" Gregory still had that fake smile plastered on his face as he said "Not at all captain." he released me as the captain hooked an arm around my shoulders leading me toward his cabin as we walked and I glanced briefly behind me as I saw Gregory pull a finger across his neck. A warning and a promise in one movement...