one

soojin groaned, stepping over her albums and running to the breakfast table, where abandoned cornflakes her grandpa had left out for her 20 minutes earlier lay cold and deserted.

she grabbed at the spoon and hurriedly shoved in two sloppy bites before dropping the metal back inside the bowl and flinging open the front door, running down the path where minho waited from the gate.

he leaned against the wall, staring at his phone annoyed. bets on it was probably getting declined another job.

he looked up and saw soojin dashing at him full speed, yelling out a "bye loser!" and flying down the street.

"soojin? what in the-" minho starts, shoving his phone into his pocket and beginning to chase after her.

"i'm going to be late!" she yelled in front of him, a couple long strides ahead.

"late, what? school starts in fifteen minutes, more than enough time to reach idiot!" minho hollers.

"stop making me run, the flip?"

"i KNOW that dipshit, did you forget we're in mrs. ri's class?!" soojin replies back, out of breath while reaching the school gates in half the time it should've took her.

minho's eyes widened in realization and he whizzed past soojin at alarming speed, trying to get to the classroom as soojin catches up and the pair tramples each other to death trying to get in first.

the old prim and proper lady struts out, pumps clacking as soojin and minho straighten themselves up quickly.

minho completely mood-shifted and casually asked soojin how her morning was as if he hadn't just imagined her murder; using honorifics as an act in front of the mean lady while the girl thanked him profusely, gritting her teeth while glaring at him.

"ah, mrs- MISTRESS ri," soojin says calmly, fakely averting her attention to the towering woman. "i had dropped my books while walking to your class and minho here helped me up, pardon us for being so l-" soojin starts, getting cut off by the woman in front of her.

"does it LOOK like i CARE, soojong? my class is for the best and the best ONLY, if you're going to slack off like an IDIOT and DARE strut in TEN MINUTES, AND FOURTY SIX SECONDS LATE, i think a detention could REALLY set you right. you start after school."

"stand outside the rest of class for the NEXT HOUR until free period. you too, mister lee." the vile monster spat out at soojin.

no literally, droplets of spit flew out of her mouth every capital.

the lady spun on her heel and the two stood there with their mouths agape, books in hands while the bell rang, commencing the actual start of school and the students (besides the one in mrs. ri's class who weren't obliged by that snake to be here fifteen minutes before school starts for 'discipline') poured in.

minho and soojin sat down, leaning against the wall as they watched students flurry to their classroom in self-pity.

you see, the boy and girl were neighbours, supposedly enemies per say. it all started back in ninth grade when soojin accidentally sharpened her pencil directly over minho's lunchbox and the boy choked on a shaving. it was actually pretty funny, but you didn't hear it from me. he soon got her back by slathering glue all over her desk and really, it just sort of escalated from there.

"can you stop breathing so loud?" minho said to soojin out of nowhere. "or just stop in general?"

soojin rolled her eyes. "very funny." she pulled out her phone and clicked onto snapchat, seeing her usual one million snaps a day. deeply engrossed with her streaks and whatnot, the boy besides her grew terribly bored and stood up, stretching and walking in circles.

"soojin"

"soojin"

"soojin"

"soojin"

"soojin"

"soo-"

"WHAT?"

"come to the canteen with me, i'm bored" minho alluded. "now how is that my problem? go yourself, i don't want to get in trouble with mrs. ri."

"oh come on, we already have a detention and you're on your phone so technically, you're already in trouble. why not break more rules and go down in detention as a legend?" minho groaned at her, pulling her arm as she stood up. "i just don't want to be sitting there alone like a flipping loser, kinda like you."

soojin grumbled. "you're so annoying."

"shut it."

walking off head-first into the canteen, she immediately went towards the salads for her breakfast fill, soggy cornflakes laying neglected back at home.

minho sat down at a table, pulling his phone out and licking his lips.

a ding rang out from soojin's phone.

sunny : SOO?? soo :(

you seriously forgot to wait for me

: soojelly
sunoo my child im sorry mrs pee got to me

"who are you talking to?" minho asked out. "hwang inyeop." soojin replied.

"why do you like that guy so much? bts doesn't even know you exist." minho deadpans, annoyed with soojin's inyeop fantasies.

"he's not from-" soojin was about to argue back until the two heard footsteps, jisung walking in with an apple. "oh hey minho, hi soo." he said, mouth full.

"did you get in trouble with mrs. ri too?" minho asks.

"oh yeah. i was bored anyway, her telling me to leave class was a blessing. uh, except the spitfest that came with it." he shuddered, soojin and minho nodding their head in empathy.

the trio sat down, mainly soojin and jisung giggling with each other as a bored and annoyed minho spent his sweet time on his phone.

the bell rang, and a mass of students came flooding into the canteen, trying to nab spots. sunoo, beomgyu and seungmin plopped down with soojin, jisung and minho.

"so, my LOVES, do you want to go out to the mall later?" seungmin suggests, and the group groaned. "seriously? 'my loves'?" beomgyu whined. "come on guys, you love me." seungmin frowns.

"can't." soojin pffted. "my grandpa's probably waiting for me at home." she said.

"soo, you barely hang out with us anymore." sunoo reasoned with her.

"i know, i know, i promise we can go next week." she said to her friends minus minho.

++

after school, soojin rushes home and whizzes past minho instead and unlocks her door, greeting her grandpa as he sat at the big chair with a smile on his face. "hi, grandpa." she whispered to him, kissing his forehead. "hi, sweetheart. how was your day?" he said.

"sh, don't speak. get as much rest as possible. i know you were up all night working." soojin shushed him, grabbing him a glass of water.

soojin's grandpa suffered from asthma. her mother was too involved with her numerous boyfriends to even look her way after her dad left her when soojin was twelve. soojin's grandpa moved in and offered to look after her while her mother struggled to work. soon slacking off, she started dating man after man, all terrible influences as she slowly forgot about the old male and daughter suffering from her absence. soojin took up a part-time job to pay for food and rent as her grandpa, in his frail state worked online.

she ran up the stairs, grabbing her work outfit and making her way down, bidding goodbye to her grandpa.

+

a/n | WHEW OKAY HELLO new book yayy i'm excited i cant wait to make new reader bffs and i know this chapter lowkey sucks but it gets better i promise