Chapter six

I hung up the phone and walked out the office. Rain again. I took in a deep breath and rubbed the back of my neck. We had a trough coming in and this type of weather was going to last for the next few days, while the rain so much wasn't the bother, the problem was I felt tied down since I couldn't exactly get things done. I wasn't enthusiastic about working in the rain and that's exactly what that call was about. Brian was out getting parts for one of the van so that only left me.

"Dammit" I muttered trying to get my truck door to open. By the time the lock turned and I got in I was already soaked down to the bone in my shirt. I pulled it over my head and searched the back seat for another.

The woman stood outside the car under her umbrella which I realized actually made sense only I hadn't thought of getting one. For once I was thankful that gale wasn't around, she'd nag me about seeing it useless to get one during this time of year. It was summer. For the last two years that I've lived here the only some of water that was worth worrying about was winter and at that point it was frozen. I hesitated getting out of the truck knowing that the shirt I only changed a few minutes ago was going to be in the same situation as the last.

"Elaine?"

She nodded. "Sorry to call you out but I'm stuck and someone told me your shop was near here".

"Yeah, that's fine" I glanced at the Subaru. "There's no way I can work on it in this though"

"Honestly as long as I'm able to get back on the road I really don't care where you need to take it"

"Alright then" I said running back to the truck and grabbing the rope.

I left her in my office and attempted to see what the problem was. I started the car and the engine wouldn't turn over. Stalling, I looked up realizing I was getting a dead battery notification from the dashboard. That's the second. I went back to the office to get her after placing the charges from mine to hers hoping to jump start the battery. No, fine. She was going to be here a few hours at the least and in this shower, I looked out the window unable to make anything from the white fog that covered the area. She wasn't going to get anywhere, anytime soon.

                                                                   🌟

I went home after eleven avoiding Tino's for the night. I needed a drink but the thought of actually having to take someone home because of the rain kept me driving. No I wasn't an asshole but I've lived with a house filled with people for a very long time that I've actually come to appreciate being alone. Except when it came to gale, she was the only exception to that rule. I showered and headed to my bed pulling the sheets to cover my head. My phone rang. Lockwood. I wasn't in the mood for conversations but seeing as I left everyone in the city and they only bothered to call every now and again I made the exception.

"It's late"

"Great to hear from you too" he said. His background drummed at my ears and I felt as if we had switched places. Where the hell was he? A party, at this time? Didn't they have exams going on? "so how's it going. Thought we'd at least see you here with gale"

"No. I wanted to give her space to study"

"Ah, hold on a bit lemme get out of the noise" he moved into somewhere that was only less boisterous than where he was previously but I could more than hear his awful voice clearly and he sounded as if he was drinking too. How like him.

"who's driving you guys home lockwood?"

"ahh, steven" he finally said. I heard him take a long drink. "yep"

Great there wasn't one responsible person among them. I shook my head.

"You're training to be a doctor idiot. You know better than to drink and let Steven who also drinks, because there's no way you can convince me that he hasn't had a shot of liquor all night, drives"

"Quit the nagging" he countered. "I'm fine. What did you say about gale and studying now?

I took a deep breath and rested against the pillow.

"She has exams just like you do. I'm surprised you're even out"

"what? Exams andrew, those ended like two weeks ago".

Now I was the one confused. What?

"what'd you mean? That's what she told me last week"

"Andrew. I'm telling you, everyone's either out on internship, practicums or holidays. No one's doing exams. Even you should know this"

Shit!! Why would Gale lie? If she didn't want to come here she didn't have to lie about it. No she didn't even want to see me.

"Andrew?"

I didn't answer. I couldn't wrap my heard around what I'd just heard. Was Gale seeing someone? I could ask him but I doubted he knew or he's say it from the start that's just the type of person he was. Someone spoke to him while I silently mused over the phone. Shit! I shouldn't have left. I should have gone there when she said she couldn't have come over this time.

"Andrew. hey, how are you?"

I pulled myself from my thoughts hearing a familiar voice.

"Lucy. I'm fine how are you?"

"I'm great how's Gale?"

I clutched the phone tighter. Gale? Wasn't she there with them? How would I know?

"She's supposed to be with you" I responded.

"No. she left yesterday, I thought she was coming to surprise you"

I'm definitely surprised. But it's not from seeing her.

"Its great hearing from you Lucy. Do me the favor and see that those idiots get home safely please"

She laughed. "No problem. Oh please don't tell gale what I told you okay. Just pretend to be surprised"

"Yeah".

I hung up and dialed her number right after. Voicemail. No surprise there.