Chapter fifteen

Only one more day to go before the town was flooded with tourists and passerby who are curious enough to find out what the fan fare is about. Which also meant I had only one more day to empty the shop. I glanced at the Chevy I had and the van that came in the other day. Brian had just left to get the parts I ordered so it didn't make sense going any further with that one. I popped open the hood and went back to the drivers side to start the engine again watching the dash board, the tank was almost on empty. I went back to the hood and checked the oil tank. The van had a million and one problem to start out with. I shook my head walking back to the office, to even think they wanted the junk back the same day. I grabbed the paper that the blond had signed and called the number she left. I could try my best to get it up and running in a few days but that 's if the only problem is only the million I already found out. The phone rang out three times without and answer and I redialed leaning against the desk.

"Hello! Hello!"

Heavy, rapid breathing reached over the phone into my ear as if she had ran a marathon to pick it up.

"Phillisa?"

" No, it's kendall" she replied her voice a little calmer than before.

Who the hell was kendall? I glanced at the paper again checking to ensure I didn't utter the wrong name. Sure enough, the name written in the paper: Phillisa mack.

"Hello?" She said noting that I was yet to say another word.

I ignored her trying to remember what I had heard her call Ziploc that day when they arrived. Kay, Kelly, no, Kenzy. Right. Damn weird name to begin with.

"Is Kenzy near by?"

" Yeah, this is her"

Shit.

"Its Andrew from the autoshop. Listen I'm going to need a few parts for your van. There's a shop few blocks down so you shouldn't have a problem getting it here"

"Uh, don't you buy the parts on your own? I can reimburse the money when your finish"

"I don't offer that" in truth I could pick up the parts on my own but I didn't want to leave the shop and Brian was already out. She wasn't doing a thing and from the conversation with her best friend this morning even if she was trying to do something, she was experiencing writers block. In essence she wasn't busy and I needed a scapegoat for all that work.

"Where's philly?" She demanded.

" Who? "

"Dammit" she mumbled. "How am I gonna get all that? you're working on the van"

" I'm sure you'll figure it out" I said hanging up.

Half an hour later Ziploc walked into the shop dressed in blue jeans and a sleeved aeropostale blouse, hands stuck in pockets looking like a tom boy with her short hair bearly reaching beyond her ear. She glanced around the shop momentarily before walking up to where I stood wiping down the bike I had only minutes ago repaired.

"I'm really sorry but I don't know how I'll get those parts without a vehicle and I'm kinda sure I won't be able to carry them all in my hands" she chuckled saying it as she held up her hands.

"Its fine, I'll take you to the shop" I said discarding the rag and headed to the bathroom.

"Really?" She asked surprised.

"Yeah" I said sarcastically. "That way you can find it on your own next time and won't bother me"

She gazed through the window while we drove into town. I could tell that she wasn't a talker just by the way she avoided every eye contact whatsoever. When we walked into the store she lingered behind. I tried keeping the door open for her but she walked so slowly from the truck to the store it felt like eternity would past before she made it. I needed a few things myself, since I was already here, I'd be better than having to come back another time.