Chapter Forty

She did well today. Even got the guys to go against me. We walked together heading into the parking lot slowly, she winced every now and again I noticed. Her shoe wasn't compatible for standing long hours. I closed the door after she climbed in and started the engine. Ziploc sat rubbing at her heels while she leaned into her seat. I watched her enjoying her self, being spontaneous yet slightly composed at the same time with the guys and I saw the flashes of smiled she sent my way when she thought I wasn't looking. They liked her, in fact when tino called this morning telling me about our abrupt ball game, I hadn't thought of going but when I asked if he'd let Ziploc join and he responded with a more than enthusiastic yes I figure things might turn out nicely. She didn't prove me wrong. The bar though showed me how rough she could become if push turned to shove. She could be wicked if she felt like it, like when she withheld the liquor when a guys flirted incessantly with her and she brushed him off too many times for her to be patient with him any longer.

"Let me help" I said taking her feet into my lap kneading them.

I smiled internally seeing the change in colour of her cheeks, her inability to hide how she felt was always amusing. She rested back in the seat leaning her head against the glass while I worked. My phone rang sometime after. It was Mr. Henderson. Immediately fear took over. It was too late to receive a call like this, they were normally retired for bed at this time.

"Mr. Henderson"

" Hey Andrew sorry for calling this late, but ah, the car's broke down"

"Where are you?"

"Two miles out from town. Sorry again"

"Its fine, I'll be there in a little while" I hung up and turned to kenzy who surprisingly had woken up and seemed as equally worried as I was.

"Sorry you mind if I take care of this before I take you home?"

" I'm the one hitching a ride. Do what you have to do"

"You sure?"

" Yes Mr. Grimm, go save your parents"

There wasn't any point in trying to fix the car at this time of the night, after hooking the car to the rover I headed back. Kenzy was fast asleep in her seat, no surprise there, it took us and hour to get there and back. Returning to the car after ensuring that the Henderson's were okay for the night I thought about what to do about the sleeping beauty. I noticed she didn't take a bag and I wasn't up to searching her person for her keys either. After trying to get hold of Blondie twice to ensure she was home before wasting gas and coming up empty, I climbed the stairs of my house with the tiny lady in my hands. Her hands around my neck, her head against my chest. I felt a finger rise to my hair and she stirred against me groaning.

"Peter"

I paused climbing the stairs and stared at her trying to understand if she had woken up. Her eyes were still closed but her brows were furrowed.

"Andrew"

I blinked. She said my name.

"No"

I raised a brow. What on earth was going on?

"I can't tell him"

"Tell me what zipoc?" I whispered .

"I can't tell him" she repeated. Then she fell silent again.

Laying her gently on the bed I slowly removed her sandals, listening as she took deep breaths before she rolled into a ball. Her short hair was spread across her face and I reached out tucking it behind her ear. She was beautiful, even lying there in her sleep she was beautiful and hearing her say my name stirred me.

kenzy wasn't like the other women I've met, certainly not gale, I felt she had the potential to be just as nagging though, but there was enough kindness and patience that made her different from other women. For one, no one else would freak out enough to get upset if someone fainted much less to even break out into tears. The moonlight fell on her curled body against the bed, she looked like a goddness. A sleeping godness.

The moon incarnate. Ka Ata Killa in Peruvian mythology. My worst fear was having her here, near a bed yet here she was. Fast asleep like a child. I wasn't given much of a choice staying away from her and no matter how I tried it never worked. As if we were predisposed, magnetized to each other. That worried me because developing feelings for someone that was in limbo with another was a disaster, worst when myself shouldn't even be thinking along that line. Everything was messed up.

When she tossed rolling onto her back throwing her hair back into her face, I realized the storm that was brewing and by this end there was nothing I could do about it. Easing away from the bed I gazed at her sleeping form laughing lightly seeing her like that before pulling the covers over her body.

*******************************

I looked up hearing the approaching footsteps down the stairwell. Kenzy made her way hesitantly into the kitchen running her hand through her hair to disentangle the stands. Her eyes went wide seeing that I had already prepared breakfast and I motioned for her to sit. Her cheeks changed to a slight pink as she took up a glass of Apple juice taking a long drink, eyes trained on me.

"Did I fall asleep last night?"

I nodded placing a plate of eggs and pancake before her.

"Shit!" She mumbled. "I'm sorry I guess I was really tired. Hey wait" she hopped off the stool and stood straight the remainder of her cheeks the colour of springs fresh tomatoes. "How did I get to the bed room?"

I grabbed a stool and sat opposite her plate with my breakfast. "I carried you" I replied taking a drink of water. Her eyes widened at my statement and her body stiffened. "I didn't peek under your dress so calm down"

"You'd be a stupid pervert if you did because I'm wearing shorts underneath" she said returning to her seat.

"Thanks for spoiling my breakfast "

When we were finished she cleaned up while I went to check on the Henderson's before taking her home. Returning I met her half way down the pavement.

"You were just gonna run off and not say goodbye after having breakfast?" I asked passing her.

She laughed. "No, I left a note on the refrigerator"

I glanced back at her then down the road. Besides the Luis brothers no one else was out this early.

"Wait I'm going to grab my keys"

"Its fine, I know how to get back home from here"

I rushed back to the door hearing her scream. I couldn't help but laugh seeing her soaked to the bone with the children laughing their heads off. I hadn't thought of it but I should have warned her the moment I saw them coming up the lane with the water guns. They were mischievous as hell but they never thought of ever spraying me with it. I was the only neighbour immune to their antics. She walked back into the house giggling then it turned into laughter, she was enjoying herself which was good. The character she was yesterday morning was a monster, one I wished I wouldn't see for the remainder of the time she had here. Just three weeks. Who the hell only spends a month vacation in summer?

I grabbed a shirt from my drawer, hopefully she'd be comfortable in that until her dress dried. I had thought of maybe giving her one of gale's clothing but decided against it. She'd probably freak if she knew.

"This is the best I could do since you wouldn't wait"

Ziploc stood hands on hips staring at me. "Glad I can be your amusement"

"Any time right?" I said disappearing through the door.

After placing her dress in the drier, I headed downstairs to look for a screw driver remembering one of the windows were giving some problems. When I rounded the corner I stopped in my tracks.

"Hey Andrew"