Chapter twenty

Strength:// power to resist force 

" Kendall? "

I sighed realizing at my stupidity.

"Hey mom" I said but my voice didn't hold as much enthusiasm as a kid voice should whenever they hadn't heard from their parent for a while.

"What are you doing?"

" Well, being honest I was trying to not answer your call but I pressed the answer button instead"

I was still upset with what she had done. She was never ever going to treat me like a grown woman.

"You're still upset even now" she said her voice sarcastically.

"Yes, yes mother I'm still pissed off with your inconsiderate behavior"

"Kendall you're being dramatic. I wasn't expecting you to sleep with any of them. I'm just showing you that maverick isn't the only guy out there"

"And you don't think I know that? I'm more than aware thank you very much"

She took a deep breath. I checked my time wondering how the hell she was calling me this late. Oh, I rolled my eyes remembering it was Sunday. Dammit. She'll never get off the phone now.

"I came to your apartment this morning and you didn't answer"

And they say there isn't a god!

"I'm not home, I already told you I was leaving didn't I?"

"Well I didn't take you serious" she replied. "You tend to overreact sometimes"

Overreact! I gritted my teeth withholding the boiling anger at my mother's selfishness.

No just stay calm. Don't let her get to you.

"Well I'm not home mother I'm sorry" Not.

"So have you found anyone your interested in so far?" She asked shifting the conversation.

Unbelievable! Has she forgotten that Jesse died only two weeks ago and I got dumped only another half of a week later? She was hopelessly ridiculous.

"No mother I haven't" I replied agitated. "I'm here to finish my book not find someone to distract me. And I'd like to do it without giving Peter a reason to have my neck first"

"Peter? That name does sound familiar"

"He's my publisher" I mumbled.

"Oh right. That handsome guy. Is he available? "

Why does her voice suddenly sound this lively?

"Why are you interested in dating him?" I asked laughing.

"No" she responded amused. "My gosh no. I'm just wondering how is it that he hasn't made a pass at you yet"

I scrunched up the paper that was beside me and angrily threw it against my bed post. I needed to get away from her. Someone, anyone, anything just please help me! Help me not to murder my mother over the phone!

My head snapped to the door hearing another phone ringing in, what seemed from philly's room and I softly thanked the heavens for the immediate salvation that they offered as I rushed out of my room.

"Hello?" I said grabbing it at the last ring.

" Kenzy? " said mother in my phone.

"Uh mom" I said placing it to my ear. "I'll have to call you back. I've got another call. Bye"

I hung up breathing a sigh of relief before placing Phillisa's mobile to my ear. Someone was ranting about something I hadn't a clue about, quoting numbers and names and I just stood there blank.

"Uh sir?"

" Yes"

"This isn't phillisa"

"Shit" he mumbled. "Where is she?"

" well seeing as she left her phone, at this point I can't tell sorry"

He groaning cursing and kicking something in the background.

"I can take a message if you'd like"

"Just uh, just tell her call me immediately as she gets home"

"Okay" I said hanging up knowing she'll be returning in the morning and he had an entire day to wait.

                                            ******************************

I walked on down the stony walk and took a detour into the pines taking in the fresh scent of summer. I remember learning about the longest living tree, taller than an actual blue whale called the Methuselah. Named duely from the longest known man that lived on earth from the bible. I didn't go too far, this far north may actually have wolves and other vicious animals that won't take too kindly to two footers intruding on their territory.

Slipping off my slippers I dipped my feet into the cold water as I sat on the board walk staring out into the sparkling water. It was a little after five, which made it late afternoon, the place was hopelessly abandoned and the only company I had besides the wood peckers and the every now and again flight of a few small birds was the swishing sound of my feet against the water.

As the sun slowly made its way down into the horizon casting a golden glowing path upon the water, I grabbed my script of empty paper and began to write. It didn't have to be perfect right away, but for some strange reason I found some small inspiration to write.

I walked back hugging myself as a chilling wind blew around me, it's cold fingers trailing my naked thighs. The sun had completely disappeared from the sky and the distant stars now peaked from their hiding place. The festival structures had disappeared as well, last night seeming to have been the last night. I felt a pang of disappointment that I hadn't taken the initiative to enjoy it more but then again, thanks to Andrew I was able to go on the Ferris wheel. I rolled my eyes remembering how agitated he got after it ended. I probably should stay away from him for a while.

Tino's was open I realised, so instead of going home to an empty house I decided maybe a little noise wouldn't kill for a while. The bar was packed as usual, less woman were here tonight though I noticed as I took a seat.

"Your regular?" The bartender asked walking over placing down a waiter.

" Yeah" I replied smiling up at him.  He already figured out my favourite drink.

"Ever thought of trying something different for a change?" He asked placing my glass down.

I watched the ice swim around in my glass for a moment before placing it to my lips.

"What'd you have in mind?" I asked replacing it against the counter.

"Gin has a nice sting to it, beer from my experience is really a guys drink but you might like it"

"Well, considering I'll have to walk home I think I'll stick to what will keep me sober"

He strugged. "I can only recommend drinks mam it's up to you to drink" He said giving me a wink and walking off.

----------------------------------------
Author's notes: everyone can relate to not getting along with their parents right, even when you're older. Most times it's not really mother's but it happens. They tend to forget you aren't a baby anymore (aka my own mom😬) Along the story line though, you'll find out why they have such a rocky relationship, so don't write them off just yet. The best wine is always saved for last. Thanks for still reading

Charms💕