Chapter nine

Mr. Henderson's terrier was at it again this morning and at the sight of me, the little annoyance bolted down the side walk and across the damp lawn. However unlike previous days I wasn't in the mood to play. Instead of chasing the dog I simply went back inside and got another pair of shoes. Everything Lockwood and Lucy said kept replaying in my mind. I couldn't get it out no matter how  hard I tried. She didn't return any of my calls but I got text messages that went something like "I'll call you back later" or "I'm heading to school now" I stopped reading them realizing that I was feeding myself the lies and acting as if this was normal. It wasn't. I never gave gale a reason to have to lie to me.  I thought personally that I was reasonable enough. Getting pissed off with a conversation is natural and we didn't have that much disagreements over the five years were are together to qualify for what she was doing. So knowing that she was blatantly lying to my face; that left me flabbergasted.

I felt myself craving a drink at ten in the morning and I knew it was the devil's plan. Drinking this early meant only one thing I was slowly losing my patience and it wasn't bounding over well. I didn't want to jump to conclusions, I didn't want to rush into things and be wrong but when something looks oddly suspicious I'm very rarely left with a choice.

"You're oddly silent these days"

Brian's head peaked under the base of the car I was working under and I didn't bother to glance at him. He took a deep breath.

"Heather is coming" he continued.

I didn't budge just continued working. I should go back and see her myself, hear the truth from the horse's mouth. I'm supposed to trust her, supposed to; but right now the gut feeling in my stomach was telling me things was wrong and that I should deal with it.

"shit Andrew"

I glanced over at brian as he stared at me concerned, why does he have to be so dramatic, I couldn't understand it.

"What?"

"You! What the hell is going on with you? Even hearing that heather was coming didn't make you flinch"

I started working again. "She's out of town thank goodness and from the last talk we had I doubt she'd be coming today either..." my speech slurred as I contemplated what I just said then shook my head. This was heather we were talking about there was no way she was ever going to stop coming unless I closed the garage and moved away and if she was motivated enough I bet she'd come find me. I grimaced.

I walked from under the lift and stood at the door gazing outside as the wind danced. I needed a vacation. That's what I said I'd do when gale arrived, take a few days off. Now I was seriously contemplating taking the days now and drive back. There were plenty of reasons to go to the metro. My family was the  largest. I bet they'd be happy to see me all these years instead of hearing the few and far between phone calls.

Brian retuned from the shop and threw me water that I caught mid-air.

"Remember I won't be here for the next two days"

Right I had forgotten about that auto show. I should have gone likewise but I changed my mind. Now I'll have all the time to figure things out in peace and quiet.
"Fine"

"You sure you'll be alright without me?"

I glanced at him. Why wouldn't I be okay? I've been working day and night without him anyway.

"I'm always okay"

"Right" he replied. "I'll call don't worry"

"Go to hell"

He grinned.

                                                    ********************

I sat on my porch with a bottle of unopened whiskey and watched as everyone walked home, the ball of bright orange yellow flames slowly fading behind the evergreen conifers and oaks that lined the distant forest. The high canvas above my head was brimming with grey and white, a dash of pink and blue scattered every two or three clouds away. I sat there still watching as it slowly faded, the wind pulling away the thinned cotton balls and only left a starless sky and then almost as if someone waved a magic wand, the little critters started to peak out, one first, then another until they gathered in families of little fireflies twinkling and flashing their faded lights into the vast distance. Then she appeared. The goddess that refused to be ignored or forgotten, throwing all other hosts into silence bowing before the beauty of her light. She slowly made her way from the dome and descended to the lowly earth walking so effortless. I watched as she made her way unto the now deep green grass that was littered with small prisms refracting the light that led her across unto where I sat until she stopped before me. It was a beautiful night indeed. The light rain had set the stage and now, sometime after midnight a entire different being reigned. 

I retreated inside placing the bottle into the counter and decided that I would try to get some sleep though I knew, because of the thoughts racing through my mind I wasn't going to get much. I paused mid climb as I heard my phone ring.

"Andrew" she took a deep breath.

The answering machine had kicked in since I hadn't bothered to return to pick up the call.

"Hey, I know you must be worried. I'm fine"

At least one of us is.

"Uh. Well I guess you must be sleeping though I doubt it. You're always up. I miss you thought. Gosh I'm so tired"

I continued my walk. My head was pounding and I was beyond tempted to pick up the phone and call her a liar. When I fell in the bed my head spun in so many directions I knew tomorrow I wouldn't be able to get up. I should have had that drink after all, should have gone to that stupid auto show. Should have gotten into my truck and went to see where she really was all these weeks. I should've done so many things, but like the gentleman I pretended to be. I didn't. Shit!