Chapter twenty nine

Regret://sorrow aroused by circumstances beyond one's control or power to repair

I did something I shouldn't have the moment I got home last night. Philly had bought a bottle of tequila and after pouring myself what was one glass too many I texted maverick. I woke up to the most embarrassing situation I've had all my life. I sent ten text messages half of which stated that I needed him to come home and the other half stated that he was a selfish bastard. I regretted the last. I don't know what came over me but I shouldn't have done it.

Maverick was a great guy, sometimes selfish, sometimes lovely. Our relationship wasn't perfect, being honest with myself I knew there were times that I hated the feeling of being non-existent, second to a child and I hated that part of me because I truly loved Jesse. I had to accept that he was more than free to do whatever he wanted to do and I owed it to myself to do the same. I was here to have fun, drool over a complete stranger maybe- just let go. Just that the stranger, the perfect stranger was already occupied. As I cleared the counter of my happy hour, lonely pathetic glasses because I realised I drank all alone last night, someone knocked at the door. I didn't hurry, more than likely it was the mail man and they'd eventually probably leave whatever it was at the door. However after the consistency of annoying knocks I went straight out. My gut tightening seeing Andrew before me oddly shaved but wearing his regular, the thought crossed my mind to ask if that was the only wardrobe he had but changed my mind.

"Hi" I said still puzzled that he was on my doorstep.

He clenched his mouth for a while before passing by the door and stepping inside. I took in the smell of him, something mixed with salt that I couldn't exactly put my finger on. I guessed he might have been returning from the lake.

"Well come in" I said closing the door behind me.

He walked around slowing scanning my home before walking into the kitchen as if he actually lived here. I walked back trying to understand what this was all about. I glanced at him again. He was shaved yes, but it wasn't complete. There was still stubble around his chin but it was much lower than what I had become accustomed to.

"So" I said unable to stand anymore of the suspense.

He nodded gazing in my direction and I swallowed feeling the knot tighten in my stomach. I tried not to think of Andrew in any way or form resembling liking someone. My days were dwindling, he had a stubborn insubordinate attitude and most of all he was taken. Should be a turn off but it wasn't. Something is definitely wrong with me. Whatever might or could be started with us would be short lived, I wasn't the regular tourist, I only had four weeks in this place and one was already long gone. I couldn't deal with another short lived chapter in my life, what's the point either way? I'll just settle for friendship, those bonds seemed to last longer than relationships -Well that is if somehow I manage to forgive Philly for her neglect of me.

"Can I offer something to drink?" I asked feeling my face flushing and the overwhelming need to get out of the room.

"Yeah, fine" he responded and I quickly disappeared into the fridge.

Where the hell is Phillisa when I actually need her?

Andrew sat at the counter a few feet away from me gazing at his phone, I quickly placed down the lucazade and filled my parched mouth with water to keep me from speaking. I already cried in his arms no need to give him the idea that I couldn't handle myself.
He twirled the cork around his fingers and then placed the drink to his lips then paused. His eyes sauntered over to where I was and he replaced the drink on the counter.

Please don't look at me like that andrew, I pleaded in my head diverting my eyes to my feet.

"What is it you wanted to talk about?"

My head shot up at his question.

"What?" I asked confused.

" Yeah, that's what you said"

"What, no" I stared at him in utter confusion. "When? I haven't spoken to you since lunch yesterday, so... "

Andrew fished for his phone that he had replaced in his pocket. "I got the text late last night or rather this morning" he explained. "I didn't see it until after I got to the lake this morning though, so that's why I'm here now"

"Oh" shit! I texted him too. F*** I dug my hands into my pockets feeling my face burn. I didn't want to let him in on what I did. He already thought I was crazy trying to understand what happened between me and maverick. "Sorry, I was out of it last night"

"You texted him didn't you?"

"What are you a damn genie?"

"I'd make a damn goodlooking one wouldn't I? " he replied a smirk on his face as he pushed his hair back.

"A bit too charming for your sake" I mumbled.

I was surprised at my outburst but he didn't flinch at all. I sat down feeling forlorn. This was my worst situation yet. He was quiet likewise and I felt grateful that he didn't think to jest about it.

"Okay ziploc, I'll take you to a few places I think you'd enjoy"

"Really? Why?" I looked over at him distrustful of his motive. "You hate me"

He chuckled and I found myself with a small smile. "I do but as long as you don't ever text me that late again I can overlook your annoyance for the time being"

He got up and left his drink on the counter heading out.

"Hey andrew! Wait!" I called as he made it to the door. " when are we going? "

"Now, so get your ass in the truck before I change my mind"

I grimaced hearing him talk like that, I shook my head. I'm never going to get use to his brazen demeanor am I?