Chapter sixty five

I stopped abruptly heading back outside finding her at the railings, surprised that she was still here. I'd thought she had gone since everyone was by the time I got back. She stood nursing the back of her hand momentarily her eyes glued to mine before it fell to the ground.

"I thought you left" She spoke up.

"So did I. Surprised you left the cake though"

She shrugged. "I figured we could talk before we went back"

I nodded, taking a note of the dark clouds that had gathered hiding the remaining of the sun. The space darkened almost immediately, the wind picking up becoming chilly as leaves dashed across the lake furiously. Her dress slapped against her skin before she broke out into laughter spinning around a bright smile spread across her face.
Again I found myself entranced at her innocence, her clear sense of spontaneity and adventure. I missed her, even now more than ever, seeing her like this. I was only distracted from my trance a few minutes, called back to reality by the flash of lighting but before I knew it the rain started. Still she didn't stop spinning or laughing getting soaked from head to toe.

"Hey, you need to get out!" I shouted.

" No, come on, it's fun! " she called back.

"Kenzy" I said after she'd been out there awhile.

"Fine" she said walking to the door, shaking her head as she walked pass my body.

Her hair sticking to her skin covered in water as well as her clothes, she shivered a little settling into her seat at the table. I pulled the jacket from my shoulder placing it around her body before walking off to find something she would be able to dry herself with. Returning I found her at the window staring at the rain.

"You think it's going to stop?" She asked softly.

" Maybe not, it's falling rather hard" I admitted. "Still, if we're unable to leave there's a bed you can have in the next room"

"What?" She asked eying me curiously. "Isn't this just a boat house?"

" Formerly" I explained. "Mr. Henderson's thinking of renting it out for the next holiday season so we did a small addition"

" Oh" she said running her hand through the short curls. "Seems like everything's change since I left"

"Something like that" I responded watching her silently contemplating whether to leave her alone or not. I didn't want to, not right now.

"I was upset for a very long time, I left because I didn't want to face you Andrew" she turned away from the window rubbing at her hands as she shivered, her wet clothes clinging like a second skin wrapping around her curves. She glanced down swallowing.

"I've been selfish for awhile I know that, but I honestly couldn't stand seeing you hurt anymore. I thought maybe the time away would probably help put things into perspective" she laughed. "How silly of me"

"I get that, but it doesn't excuse my own actions. I thought giving you some space would at least give me time to cool off and then we could talk but you just left" reaching out I pulled her hand from the fabric of her dress that she busied herself playing with. "I care about you kendall"

She snickered, a smile crawling to her lips before it faded as quickly as it came. "I'd like to believe that, but I can't. Not anymore" she went back to the glass. " I can't trust me, or anyone, I don't know what's real and that terrifies me. I'm sorry " her head fell and she stood still with her back towards me.

Now I was concerned. I couldn't act the asshole anymore and act as if having her walk away was fine, it wasn't. I couldn't bare out separation anymore, at least not like this.