Chapter fifty seven

Nostalgia: pleasure and sadness that is caused by remembering something from the past and wishing that you could experience it again

I woke up groggy my hands trailing across the table beside me reaching to stop the alarm of the clock. I climbed out of bed walking to the bathroom eyes half closed as I moved around exhausted from our trips all over the country. My limbs felt sore having to haul the suitacase, run through the lobby being late for my cab and dealing with overly zealous fans. My cheeks ached from my plastered smile, held there for more than half of the day and now, now was the time for me to continue my new book.

My phone vibrated as I wrote into my script and I glimpsed at it momentarily unwilling to loose my chain of thought. At the moment the interruption was unwelcomed but then I remembered trying to get to Kay to check on my little superman, my conscience nipping me harshly as I forgot about him in the rush. Another set of thoughts flowed through and I forgot my phone immersed in my notes. This one just like Hope took another part of my soul. In a small way it felt like I was writing my own story.

Taking a break, I walked away from my the desk retiring to the bed staring at the moon in a almost deserted sky. My curtain blew out of place as the wind entered, moving like a carousel around the room. My mind drifted to maverick, sighing sadly wondering if it was worth the pain to try and make it work. I'd told myself I wouldn't take him back but now that he apologized what was I going to do? I owed him the benefit of the doubt to believe he was sincere or maybe this was the lonely me talking. The very scared lonely part of me.

I picked up the phone intending to call him hoping to talk though I knew he must have been asleep. My body tensed realising the vibration earlier was because of a message from andrew. Again my emotions collided like waves against my body, my hands started to get clammy and my heart went into overdrive. Even though we were miles away my heart still ached for separating and I slowly felt guilty like poison gas attacking my body taking over my senses.

Closing my eyes I attempted to calm my heart, counting, mumbling random words just trying to do anything that would return calm to my inner waters. His message opened and I peeked first with one eye, then both reading his message.

I heard about your new nephew, congratulations. I'm sure you're already obsessing over him and annoying him to death.

I smiled. Leave it to him to think all I ever did was annoy people.

I'm sorry and I honestly hope you're doing well. I'd help knowing you still smile the way you always do.

Ps. Yes I notice when you smile and also when you blush.

"You idiot" I said giving in to my emotions laying back into the bed. "I miss you too"

                                     ***********************************

"No, I ah, I told him that I needed the few days to sort out a few things" Maverick explained to me over the phone while I soaked in the bath.

He called early, allowing me time with him as he prepared for work. We spoke every day, morning or evening whenever I found the time to talk. I couldn't be on my phone around Peter or I'd risk his petty complaining.

"And what are you planning to do during that time?"

"Not so Ms. Curious. If you make it back in time, you'll see"

I squirmed in the tub pouting that he was withholding information from me willingly. I knew more than likely he was planning something and I hated surprises.

"Come on, indulging me a little" I said prompting him to slip up.

"No. If it makes any difference, it's not about you. But since we're on that topic when are you returning?"

" Oh" I said grabbing the towel wrapping my body after glancing at the clock noting that I only had about another fifteen minutes to get ready before heading to the interview.

"The day after tomorrow actually"

" Thats fine. I'll talk to you later? "

"Yeah. See you then"

We hung up and I ran the brush through my curls one final time before grabbing my coat. Pulling on my jacket over my blouse I scrolled through my phone laughing at the photos of Clarke that kay graciously sent to me. I only looked up from my phone when I bumped into someone descending the stairs heading to the lobby. I apologized profusely keeping my eyes forward as I passed reception heading out meeting the editor.

I froze reaching the door, cocking my ear to listen if what I heard was correct. When I heard the voice again, I turned scanning the lobby furiously trying to find him. I was sure of the voice I heard. Andrew. There was no way I could mistake, the deep, raspiness of his voice, nor ignore the flames that suddenly lit my body, sending a tingling sensation down my spine. Nor could I ignore the fact that my mouth suddenly went dry.

Where was he?

I glanced quickly from the reception to the guests heading to the stair, then elevator and back to the hallway leading to the restaurants. Nothing. He wasn't here? I knew in some plausible way he shouldn't be here, he had work and why would he be anyway? Or maybe he and Gale weren't trying to work it out. Dialing his number quickly, I listened as it rang to the second ring before hanging up. Why should it matter if he was here? He had every right to try and work things out if he wanted to and while the thought of him being unavailable again deeply disturbed me, I reminded myself that he had a right to happiness as much as I did.

"You're not on the phone again right? Are we ready?"

I glanced up surprised to see peter.

"I thought you weren't coming" I replied as he ushered me outside the hotel.

"Just pretend I'm not here" He replied waving down a taxi for us to get in.

----------------------
Authors notes: 😉 hey guys so I'm sorry, I know this is a short chapter, if it was boring, I apologize. Please forgive me as we wind down.

Charms💕