Chapter seventeen

Regret:/sorrow aroused by circumstances beyond one's control or power to repair

I really shouldn't have ran out on our conversation like that, I scolded myself. How am I expecting to get over it if I can't even talk about what happened? What really happened maverick? I took up the phone and scrolled to his name. I told him he was never to call or think about me, but I on the other hand can't seem to liberate him from my thoughts or his number from my phone. I just haven't gotten around to that part as yet. How long was it going to take before I forgot about them and moved on? Or rather forgot about him. I didn't want to forget jesse. She deserved to be remembered and cherished, if only her father had shared her heart.

I brushed my hair and placed on my lip gloss as I sat before the mirror in my room. Philly thought it was a great idea to go to the opening show tonight and while I had my reservations about it, I conceeded knowing I needed less time to think about this. I was still nowhere with my script and everyday I woke up, I prayed Peter didn't call and ask. To dampen my anxiety, I left my phone at home.

My eyes widened in awe at the flashing lights and crowds of people that gathered before us and for a moment I felt my bipolar attitude slip away while Philly dragged me through the hordes to almost every booth. There was a Ferris wheel, merry-go-round and cotton candy stalls, one of which I had to get since it has been years since I last had one. I glanced around a few time walking behind Philly until I lost her completely. When I finally stood still my eyes connected with andrew. I turned away feeling my cheeks heating up and I knew I felt embarrassed for what I did. I don't know how I found it easy to talk with him with his grouchy demeanor or the plain way he has of talking without considering others feelings. His eyes were ocean blue complementing his dirt brown hair and tanned skin, and every time I watched him work my eyes always travelled to his biceps watching as the art on his arm stretched and contract. The best way to get over a person is really to get under another? No. And I wasn't attracted to men with art on their bodies, was I? No. Only crazy people sat under a needle for hours just to let someone crayon them.

"Kendall?"

I jolted from my thoughts and stood still and took a deep breath. I turned to find maverick standing there as surprised as I was to see him. Out of the hundreds that had gathered, I didn't expect him to be one of them.

"What are you doing here?" I asked but then a woman appeared next to him laughing and holding a flag. " Oh"

I swallowed and looked away. I was the only one having a hard time moving on.

"We're here for the festival. What are you doing here don't you have a script to finish?"

" Yeah" I responded trying to seem cheerful. "Were here for the festival like wise"

"We?" he asked frowning.

"Yeah me and-"

"You shouldn't walk off like that" said Andrew cutting in.

I glanced up wondering why he was here.

"Who's this?" Said maverick getting defensive.

" No one" replied andrew. "They stuck me at a booth and I need your help"

"Okay" I said as he took hold of my hand and lead me away from them.

I glanced around wondering where we were headed and after a while we stopped at what looked like a set up of a missing booth. He released my hand and walked away finishing the set up.

"Uh, thanks" I said gathering my wits to speak.

"If you're gonna stand there you can always walk back and stick your head in the dirt like an ostrich or you can help me like I had asked previously"