fifty! ⋆ THAT'S ALL I'VE EVER WANTED

( songs for the chapter )⋆ the promise // when in rome⋆ heaven // bryan adams

⋆ the promise // when in rome
⋆ heaven // bryan adams

( songs for the chapter )⋆ the promise // when in rome⋆ heaven // bryan adams

KATE SAT WITH HER SISTER in her bedroom. Nancy, Robin, and the rest of the kids were in various other areas of the cabin, helping Steve unpack the hundreds of boxes he had brought. But Kate and Eleven sat alone, in front of each other on the younger girl's twin bed. A comfortable silence settled between the two of them as muffled music sounded the walls. The blonde grabbed El's hands.

"You like it here, don't you?" Kate quietly asked with furrowed brows. She was talking about Hawkins – the place where they'd first met, the place that had been terrorised by crooked men and demogorgons, and the place that their father took his last breath.

And El knew that.

She thought for a moment, then shook her head yes.

Kate smiled slightly. "Do you like it here, or do you just like Mike?"

This made the younger girl laugh softly, something Kate hadn't seen much of recently. Seeing her sister smile made her grin, too.

"Both," she responded before bringing her eyes up to meet the older girl's. "Do you like it here?"

Just like before, Kate thought for a moment – several, long moments – and then nodded.

Eleven retorted, "Do you like it here, or do you just like Steve?"

The blonde laughed and repeated, "Both."

More silence filled the room. Kate could see the wheels turning in El's head as she tried to say something, but couldn't find the courage to speak her mind. The older girl knew it had to be about Hopper; it was the only thing Eleven didn't like bringing up around Kate.

"You can talk to me about anything, you know that, right?" Kate asked as she squeezed the girl's hands.

"I don't want to make you sad." Her words were spoken quietly, barely even a whisper. So inaudible, Kate had barely heard them – but she did.