Chapter I

Run. Run and never look back. That's what Explorers do when they can't fight. It's kind of tough when you hear your friends screaming behind you. Not just any kind of screams. Screams of death. And pain. But I couldn't look back.

I felt like a total coward. I just wanted to survive. I kept my mind on alert for Rita and Sofia. I had to find them. Alive. After all, we were the Triple Council of the Maze. The glue between our group. Horrible thoughts passed through my mind. Death Creatures stinging everyone, invading our House in the middle of the day. Eventually, with all the adrenalin flowing through my veins, these thoughts evaporated. I kept running as fast as I could. Then everything fell apart.

I think I blacked out momentarily. When I managed to stand up again, I realized that I was no longer being chased by those monsters. There was no one around. Then I noticed something: a trap door. Curious as I've always been, - one of the few things I know about myself besides my name - I didn't even hesitate. After all, I was supposed to find a way out. It was my duty. I managed to open it after a few tries.

I wondered if I should go get the others. Deep down, I knew that I probably wouldn't find anyone soon. So I decided to act. I carefully descended it, jumping into a huge corridor. It had grey walls, with some dim red lights that allowed me to see its ending. I ran as fast as I could. There was no time to waste. I felt nauseous being undergroundr. After a couple minutes of running, I reached it.

A strange looking ladder went up the wall. With no other apparent choices, I climbed it. Those few minutes seemed like hours. Those few stairs seemed like thousands. Another trap door at the ceiling. I pushed it with all my strength and I eventually made it through. The light burned my eyes. As soon as I adjusted to the brightness, I pulled myself up and couldn't believe were I was.

Back in the maze. How was it even possible? Why would there exist a passage if it didn't lead somewhere else? It didn't make sense. I began to call out for Rita and Sofia. The reply was the metal-grinding noises of the Death Creatures. And then I heard something I'd never heard before.

A boy's voice.