Chapter XXIX

I closed the gap. There were only a dozen of us left. Frypan was there too. Disorientation floated through the air. They'd just lost their leader. I couldn't hold back my tears. I hadn't known him for very long, but I knew I'd miss him. Newt was trying hard not to cry, I could see his face twitch. I held onto him. But he shed a few tears, and got back together. He was the leader now. He had to hold the group. He was the glue.

'I know we've just lost the most important person we had, and many other brave Gladers. But we will mourn later. Right now we need to make sure that their deaths weren't for nothing. Alby would tell us to do that if he were here,' Newt said. I don't know how he was able to control himself. I couldn't do that.

'This doesn't seem like our maze. It feels different,' someone said, and everyone nodded in agreement.

'Indeed it doesn't. We need to get to this Glade, organize with the other group, and together, we will find a way out of here,' Newt said.They cheered.

'I can lead us,' I said.

And like that, we walked through the Maze. Leaving all the fallen Gladers behind. But it had just started. I quickly orientated myself. We had just started to increase our pace when we heard that horrible sound. I was starting to get sick of them.

'Oh bloody- not again. Cam and Minho lead the way. Maria and I will watch the back. Go, go, go.'

'Two lefts, one right and two lefts. Got it?' I hoped they would understand my indications and wouldn't get lost.

They didn't need to be told twice. I looked at Newt and we both charged the Griever. Newt made the first strike, but the Griever turned around so quickly that Newt went flying into the nearest wall. That made me angrier. I felt like I had an army of fallen Gladers beside me, encouraging me. It was a way to avenge their deaths. I stabbed him two times and slid on the ground, confusing it. Newt got back up, with a few scratches, but nothing serious. He striked with his knife, making it squeal.

'Why won't it just bloody die?'

'The best we can do is slow it down. And we better hurry,' I said