Chapter LIX

I couldn't. I felt like I was being torn apart. Frypan fell through the hole.

'Is there anyone else up there?' Minho asked.

'Yes,' he said.

And Newt came through. He didn't look injured. I hugged and kissed him hard. I couldn't stop crying.

'Don't ever leave me,' I said.

'What took you so long?' Minho asked.

'I had to help who stayed behind,' he replied.

I didn't let go of Newt. I'd never forget the despair I felt. I kept sobbing in his chest, holding him as if he'd dissapear if I let him go.

I looked around, and there were less than 30 people. No one said a word for a long time. I couldn't believe that so many had died.

'I love you,' I whispered.

'I love you too,' he replied, kissing my forehead.

Heavy footsteps, coming from behind, echoed through the corridor.

I was about to get my dagger when I saw a little chubby boy running in our direction. Chuck, I remembered vaguely. He was one of the subjects, but he was never sent to the Maze.

Thomas was already running in his direction. They were like brothers. I guess that's why he never got sent to the Maze. They hugged for a long time.

'Who is he?' Newt asked.

'Chuck,' I replied. 'He was with us, but he never got sent to the Maze.'

'Hi,' he said, shyly. He was adorable.

'What happened?' I asked him, gently patting his hair.

'I don't really remember,' he said. 'I'm still confused. I thought I was in my bed, but I woke up here. So I started to run when I heard some noises.'

'And now what?' Cam asked.

'We heard a door slide open from that way,' I said, pointing my finger.

'Where does it lead us?' Newt asked, facing Thomas.

'I'm not sure,' he replied.

I knew he was lying, but there was no way he would tell us the truth.

'Let's get out of here. This place is bloody creepy,' Newt said.

Minho led the way, while Newt and I stayed behind. After a couple of minutes walking, I heard some cries from the front, as if they were falling.

'Looks like a slide!' Chuck said happily.

Newt and I were the last ones, and we slipped through it together. It was covered in an oily and smelly goo. I had to make a huge effort not to throw up. The tube didn't seem to end.
After a while, the slide ended and we landed on top of each other. I got up and puked. The smell was nauseating. I looked at where we'd arrived. I recognized it. We were in a huge room, filled with all kinds of technologies.

'Look!' Rita shouted.

I couldn't breathe. Directly in front of, behind tinged windows, were what looked liked ghosts: pale people dressed in white uniforms, observing us. Unfortunately, they weren't ghosts.

They were the people who'd stolen our lives.

The Creators.

(Hey guys! We're reaching the end... Just so you know, it will have 62 chapetrs, just like the book ahaha. Thanks for all the support!)