Chapter IX

'We were divided in three groups: the Explorers, who protected the others and were able to fight Grievers, like you call them, the Designers, who explored the Maze while elaborating maps, and the Guardians, who stayed behind and took care of everything. The Explorers and Designers left as soon as the doors opened. Each one of us had a Zone to explore, always hoping to find a clue, anything that could help us. Usually we traveled in groups of two: a Designer and an Explorer. Rita, Sofia and I were The Triple Council of The Maze. I was the Leader of the Explorers, Rita of the Designers and Sofia of the Guardians.'

'Tell us more about your day before you got here,' Alby ordered.

His voice didn't allow me to decipher what he was thinking. It was the exact opposite with Newt. I could see through him easily.

'The morning before I came here was a bit different. It was one of the few times a group stayed outside for the night. They didn't get back in time. Every time that happened, we, the Triple Council of The Maze, went out together, trying to find any signs of life. A group of three Death Creatures found us, and a couple of other Designers that came along. I think most of them died. I-I shouldn't have ran. I should've fought them. I was the leader of the Explorers, I knew how to fight. But I chose to run. And you already know the rest.'

I felt like a bomb of feelings had exploded. For a moment, I was running from Death Creatures, and I swear I heard the same screams. Fortunately Alby spoke almost immediately, snapping me out of that daydream.

'I see. That was interesting.'

I wanted to scream at him. Interesting? How can it be interesting?

He gestured to Newt.

'If anyone doubts how Maria came here and what her reasons are, raise your hand.'

Everyone remained silent.

'That's good. I can assure you that Maria is telling us the truth. I think all of you could sense that. What we need to focus on is to find a way to reach the other Maze. The Runners, me and Maria will explore every inch we can, until we do. Does anyone disagree?'

Once again, silence.

'Okay. Tomorrow you two can start the search' an Asian guy said. 'We'll help you if it's needed.'

Alby spoke again:

'Minho, I think it's better that you joined them. I'm sure the other Runners can take care of the rest.'
Minho nodded.

'Tomorrow night, Gally will be banished. He violated one of our main laws, and we can't ignore it. He endangered Maria's life, and she is one of us now. I declare this Gathering closed.'