Chapter XLVII

'What was your dream about?' Newt asked me.

'My mother. I think they killed her because of me. I wasn't supposed to find your Maze.'

I didn't cry. All the tears I had were spent in my dreams.

'She might still be alive. They're probably trying to mess up your head.'

'It's working. Newt, I'm losing it.'

'You have me,' he replied.

And he said nothing more. I appreciated that, I needed to digest my thoughts. We both laid on the bed, my head resting on his chest, right next to his heart. His heartbeat was loud and clear, and it made me relax. If my mother was really dead, I would find the responsibles. I managed to close my eyes, and I focused on Newt's heartbeat, avoiding more horrid thoughts. We stayed there for a while, and neither of us fell asleep.

'I'm hungry,' I said quietly.

'What do you want me to get you?'

'Nothing. I'll go with you.'

'Are you sure it's a good idea?'

'I'm feeling fine, it's no big deal.'

Newt helped me get out of the bed. As my feet touched the ground, I almost fell. Thankfully Newt was there. I guess I still had to regain my shape. We walked to the Dining Room, and Sofia was sitting at a table, talking to some Gladers. As soon as she saw me, her eyes filled up with tears.

'I'm so sorry,' she said.

'Sorry for what?' I asked.

Was there something Newt hadn't told me?

'I should've gone with Newt and Rita to rescue you,' she answered.

'Hey, I'm okay, that doesn't matter. Besides, 3 would be a crowd.'

She hugged me.

'What do you guys want to eat?' Frypan asked.

'Could you make me some scrambled eggs? I think I like it...' I replied.

'Sure thing! It's nice to have you back.'

'I disagree,' Cam said, entering the Dining Room.

He smiled at me. I wondered how he and Rita were.

'So, how's stuff going around here?' I asked.

'Fine. Things are back to normal. Everyone knows their tasks, it's all organized,' Sofia said.

'No parties?' I asked.

'Unfortunately no, Frypan isn't allowed to make his drink anymore,' Cam answered.

'What a shame. I was looking forward to cleaning up more puke and watch drunk people do crazy thigs,' I said, making them laugh.

'The eggs are almost done!' Frypan said.

He gave me a plate filled with scrambled eggs. I shared it with Newt and Sofia.

'How long 'til they come back from the Maze?'

'They should start to get back in half an hour.' Sofia replied.

'Did Rita go?' I asked.

'I told her not to, but she insisted,' Cam said.

'So you two are back to normal?' I asked.

'Yes, you can say that. She still hates me,' Cam said. 'Well, I'd better go help Clint and Jeff. See you.'

We sat there, talking, and in those moments we almost seemed like regular teens.