Chapter XIV

This time I had no dreams. I woke up and realized Newt had laid me down on the bed. He was lying next to me, snoring. A lot. I felt like I’d just slept for eons, I wasn’t even a bit tired. I got up and went to the bathroom, washed myself and put some fresh clothes on.

When I went back into the room, my heart stopped. Newt was gone. I went down the stairs as fast as I could and got outside. Newt was pacing in circles, hands on his head.

'Good morning,' I said. 'What's wrong?'

'It’s Gally. He-he managed to escape.'

I wanted to talk, but the words didn't come out. How was it even possible? I was in shock.

'I'll kill him if I have to. As long as I'm alive he will not come near you,' Newt told me.

'The Doors haven't opened, so he must be somewhere near,' I managed to say.

'Most of the Runners are looking for him. Let’s go grab something to eat and we'll join them afterwards.'

Frypan had made us some sandwiches and packed food and water for the rest of the day. I ate it, not saying a word. My mind was numb.

'I'll leave your backpacks at the doors. And if I find that shank on my way I'll knock him down with a pan.'

I smiled a bit.

'Thanks Frypan,' Newt and I said, leaving the kitchen, still eating. Alby appeared, suddenly.

'We haven't found that shuck-face yet. But we will.'

'We'll go search for him too,' Newt said.

'Be careful. And take some weapons.'

Alby gave me a knife. I was ready.

We were ready.