Chapter XVI

Gally was already unconscious. Newt looked up at me, and I slapped him.

'That's enough.'

That made him snap out of it.

'I-I killed him,' he said.

'We don't know that. You have to calm down.'

'I didn't know what I was doing.'

'It's over now. He'll never escape again.'

Newt was about to have a breakdown, I could see it in his eyes.

'I-I killed someone. I'm a murderer.'

'No. You defended me. And we don't even know if he's dead'

'He is. I just know it.'

He kneeled down, screaming. I hoped whoever put us here enjoyed this. Enjoyed the terror we had inside ourselves. I kneeled beside him, and this time it was my turn to hug him and his time to sob.
I guess we're not always strong, despite what we might look and act like sometimes. I began crying too, I couldn't help it. I swear I felt the Newt's pain and despair. I know it sounds cheesy, but it was true.

'Sorry to interrupt your moment,' said Alby.

We both got up immediately. I didn't even see him come near us.

'I-I think I killed him, Alby. I'm sorry, I lost my mind, I couldn't control myself.'

'You did it in self-defense. He would die anyway,' I said.

'She's right. You did the right thing Newt,' said Alby.

'As if there is a right and wrong in these situations,' replied Newt.

'That's enough Newt. You'll get over it. Now stop being a pussy.'

I thought Newt was going to answer Alby for saying such a thing, but he just sucked it up. I was beginning to think Newt showed his weak side to anyone besides me. I hadn't showed mine to anyone but him, too. Not even to Rita and Sofia. Survival laws, I guess. A couple of Gladers came and one of them checked Gally's pulse.

'He's gone. A concussion or an internal bleed. Something like that,' the guy that had checked his pulse said.

I felt relieved. I tried to shove Gally to the back of my mind, and focus about what was next. Newt seemed to be calmer. I grabbed his hand and dragged him farther into the forest. We needed to get out of there

'If you don't want to go to the Maze today, I'll go alone, no problem,' I told him.

'Do you think I'm incapacitated? Why don't you stop treating me like I'm a baby?'

'What the hell is wrong with you Newt?'

I couldn't believe what he just said. I was just trying to relieve him. I turned around but he grabbed me and pushed me against a tree. And then he did the last thing I was expecting him to. He kissed me.