Chapter XLIII

'What's going on?' Minho asked.

'I don't know, I have this weird feeling,' I told him.

As we were about to finish the Zone, a Griever came up.

'Oh shuck,' he said.

'Help me kill it,' I told him.

'Are you crazy?'

'Yes. But trust me.'

I didn't know what I was thinking, but it felt logical. I grabbed my dagger, so did Minho.

'Aim for the head,' I told him.

He was the first one to make a move. He stabbed the Griever in one of its metal legs, which made no effect. I stabbed the Griever's upper body, distracting it from Minho. Its needle scraped the point of my ear. Minho aimed for the head, and managed to hit it. The Griever shivered and its metal grinding noises increased. An impulse surged through me, and I did something crazy.

I jumped onto the Griever, mounting it. I managed to hold on.

I could do anything. At least I thought I could.

I stabbed it repeatedly, until its metal legs gave up, making us both fall. The last thing I remember seeing was the needle hitting my chest. My blood was on fire, the veins about to explode. Minho grabbed a seringe from his backpack, injecting it in my arm. And I passed out.

I lost track of time and space. My brain was swimming in an imense wave of confusion, memories swirling in my mind. I tried to focus: I knew what I was going through: The Changing. I focused on what mattered the most to me: my parents.

I was no longer lost; I was in my home. I was very young. My mother was cooking dinner, and we didn't talk. I hugged her.

'We'll survive this,' she told me. 'Your dad is making sure of it.'

'I know,' I told her. I tried hard, but a tear streamed down my face. 'I miss him.'

And then the scenary changed. Two tall men breaking into my house. My mother kissing me, repeating the same thing over and over again.

'Be strong.'

I knew I would never see her again.

'Maria, come with us. You will help us find a cure,' one of the man said.

'I guess I have no other choice. I love you,' I told my mother, but I didn't cry. I was being strong like she told me to be.

'You will do great things,' she told me. 'But never forget who the real enemies are.'

And that was the last thing she ever said to me.

(Intense chapteer, hope you liked it! Please vote and comment, that's what keeps me writing)