Chapter LIV

'Two boring days,' I said.

'We need to prepare ourselves. Pack our weapons and food. Besides, it'll give you some time to rest,' Newt told me.

'I know. But it's strange, giving us time to get ready. I think we should pack everything as soon as possible.'

'Sure, let's talk to everyone.'

The day went by slowly. Although most people didn't want to, we packed everything straight away. Better safe than sorry, right?

It was getting late, so we stoped packing, and I went to Newt.

'Are you more relaxed now?' He asked, mocking me.

'Yes, I am,' I said. 'Any news about Teresa?' I asked.

'She's still Sleeping Beauty.'

'Beauty?' I asked, faking an angry face.

'Oh, you're jealous?'

'No,' I said.

He grabbed me and kissed me.

'I love you,' he said.

The Doors hadn't closed yet.

'Newt, the Doors,' I said, a shiver going down my spine.

'Oh no. It's impossible.'

Minho came running towards us. His panic look explained everything.

'We need to get out of here,' he said.

'Not now,' Newt said. 'We need to grab our weapons, improvise some defenses, I don't know.'

'I think we need to visit Thomas. Minho, you and Sofia can take care of warning everyone,' I said.

Thomas was next to Teresa, holding her hand. I wasn't sure if I pittied him.

'Deal's off,' Newt said. 'The Doors haven't closed. We're getting out of here.'

'You don't look suprised,' I said.

'This is supposed to happen,' Thomas replied.

'Why didn't you tell us?' I asked angrily.

'I couldn't. We need this Variable,' he said.

'Variable?' Newt asked.
'The Variables are elements of our experiments. They are the key to study your killzone,' Thomas replied.

Experiments? Did they have more?

'I'm sick of your klunk,' Newt said. 'In case you haven't noticed, we don't care.'

'You should care. The only way out of here is through the Maze. So we're safer here,' Thomas said.

'Unfortunately, he has a point, Newt,' I said.

'But in the morning we will leave. Since you lied to us, we change the deal,' Newt said bitterly.

'Okay. Good luck,' he said.

We left him and locked the door.
Everyone was frantically walking around. Wooden boards were being nailed everywhere, but I knew that wouldn't help us. Sofia grabbed my arm.

'What are we going to do?' She asked.

'We have to stay here. The way out is in the Maze. And it's even worse out there than it'll be in here,' I said.

We spreaded the word, which made everyone work harder. I helped distribute food and water and organized the rooms for us to stay. The last ones were entering their assigned places, when the grinding noises began.

'Lock the doors,' I screamed.

I was the only one who stayed outside.