Chapter XXII

'Bloody-'

'Everyone, keep your shucked faces inside the Homestead. Newt, get over here. Now.' Alby ordered.

'You stay here,' he told me.

'No way.'

'Okay, come on. There's no point in trying to convince you to stay, I know you're stubborn.'

I smiled.

I followed Newt down the stairs and out of the Homestead.

'I called you. Not her,' Alby said.

'I can help you.'

'We have other things to worry about right now than who is going with us. What the hell happened?' Newt saved me.
'I don't know. That's why I called you.'

We quickly scanned the surroundings, and the noise seemed to come from the forest. As soon as we got near it, we could see clearly what happened.
A fire had started. The noise must've come from a tree that fell.

'Oh klunk,' Alby said.

'We need every single one of us out here,' Newt said.

'You guys go get water and some pieces of cloth that I'll go call everyone, quickly,' ordered Alby.

We called Frypan and he helped us distribute pans of water to every Glader. But I didn't recall seeing Minho. We did it all in just a few minutes. We had no time to waste.
As soon as everyone was 'armed', we went to the forest.

'Did you see Minho?' I asked Newt.

'No. So you didn't either?'

'No. I'm sure we just missed him, maybe he's still asleep.'

'Yeah, let's hope so.'

The fire seemed to calm down a bit. But it was still a tough task. Newt and I were side by side, extinguishing the flames, when we saw Minho. He came running towards us. When he got close, I could see his left arm. Or what was left of it.