Chapter LVII

'Here you are!' I said, grabbing Newt's hand. 'Hey, Thomas. You shouldn't give up on her.'

'I'm not giving up on her,' he said.

'Now we can get out of here. Tell us how.' Newt said.

'The exit is through the Maze. You know the Cliff?'

I had never passed by a cliff, but Newt nodded affirmatively.

'It's where the Grievers go. It's connected to the tunnels you found.'

'So we need to get ropes,' Newt said.

'No,' Thomas said.

'No? How do we get down there? We jump?' I asked, ironically.

'Actually, yes.'

'You've got to be bloody kidding,' Newt said.

'Trust me,' Thomas said.

'I don't trust you. But since we don't have another option, let's give it a shot,' I said.

'We'll leave in an hour,' Newt said.

We warned everyone, packed our things and followed Thomas. No one wanted to stay behind. Teresa was with Anne, looking very confused. As we left the Doors, I looked back. I knew I'd miss that place. I grabbed Newt's hand. Hopefully it was the last time we'd see the Maze.

We ran at a steady pace, but it was still difficult for the ones who weren't used to runnig. Everything seemed to be in order, exept for the huge amount of beetle blades in the walls. After a long hour of running, we reached the Cliff. It was too easy, I thought.

And I was right. At least a dozen Grievers were waiting for us.

'And now what? We just casually pass by them and jump?' Minho asked sarcastically.

'You'll need to fight,' Thomas said.

'You? Oh, so you'll just watch and come when everthing's safe.' Cam said ironically.

'Guys,' Minho said. 'They're coming.'

The Grievers were coming closer, their noise deafining.

'It's now. We go down fighting. It's our only choice,' I said.

'If you can hold up the Grievers, I'll jump through the Griever Hole, enter the code and hopefully the Grievers will shut down,' Thomas said.

For how much I hated having to trust Thomas, we had no other option.
Everyone held up their weapons and we ran in the Grievers direction.