Chapter XLI

'Good morning. I need to apologize to everyone for not being the leader I should've been yesterday, like Alby would've been. It's okay to have fun, but never, ever to lose control the way we did.'

'I need to apologize too. Our behavior was ridiculous in these circumstances,' Rita said.

Everyone was looking down, ashamed.

'I think everyone's got the message. Today, the Explorers and Designers will do their regular work, such as the other Gladers and Guardians. The Runners will join me and Rita, as we look for something new,' I said.

'Now let's get to work,' Newt said, encouragingly.

'Runners at the Doors in 10,' Minho said.

'And I want the Designers ready in 5,' Rita said.

'Explorers ready in 7 minutes,' I added, and everyone laughed.

I went to talk to Rachel.

'Hey, how was your night?' I asked.

'I don't know, I can't remember... It's nice to have you back,' she answered.

'It's nice to see you guys too. You took over the Explorers, right? Brief me on what happened.'

'Nothing new. No bad news, but no good news either.'

'Be extra careful out there. Things are changing. Make sure everyone's armed.'

'I will, don't worry.'

'I've wanted to ask something for a long time. The day I disappeared, did anyone get hurt?'

'No. A few scratches and bruises, but nothing serious. We managed to kill a couple of Death Creatures and outrun them.'

'That's great. Thanks for taking over the Runners, you're the only one I fully trust to do this.'

'You don't need to say thanks, your trust means a lot to me.'

We hugged. I liked Rachel, she was always honest, and she was one of the best Explorers we had. She never panicked, and she ran like hell. We both headed to the Doors, were Rita and Louise were talking loudly, laughing a bit.

Some Runners were standing, their backs against the walls, completely silent. I could see that some of them were scared. No one could forget what happened to Alby. Sofia, Minho and Newt came towards Rachel and me.

'Is everyone ready?' Minho asked.

'I think so,' I said.

The Doors began to open.