Chapter IV

'There.'

I immediately kneeled and tried to open the trap door. Newt also tried, unsuccessfully. It was completely sealed. No way I could get back the way I came. I started to scream, banging my fists on the ground, watching the blood begin to drip from my hands, feeling the pain. Newt grabbed my arm.

'Calm down. We'll find another way.'

'CALM DOWN? Don't you get it? There is no other way!'

I began screaming, sobbing and running as fast as I could. I had to get out of there. I hated to feel trapped. Newt ran after me, and managed to get hold of me.

'Just stop it. You won't go anywhere, and you definitely won't find a way back in that state.'

'Just leave me alone.' I snapped back. I didn’t quite mean to say that.

'I won't. Let's go back to the Glade.'

I couldn't help to start to cry. I was usually the strong one, but in that moment, it was just too much. Newt pulled me into a hug. We didn't know each other well, but it still felt good to have someone to comfort me.

‘It’s my fault, I shouldn’t have opened it – I shouldn’t.’

‘It’s not your fault. Come on.’

We began walking again. I followed him and calmed down. Despair wasn't going to solve my problems. We didn't say anything else until we reached the doors.

'Will your friends let me stay here?'

'They will. I'll talk to Alby, he's first in command.'

'And what do you do?'

'Second in command. I usually don't go out to the maze, but one of the Runners was sick and I replaced him.'

As soon as we entered what they called the Glade, I realized how similar it was to ours. Slowly, everyone started gathering around us. I sticked close to Newt. I felt safe near him, although I'd only known him for a few hours. It was strange to see so many boys, all completely different from each other. A tall guy approached us. By the way everyone looked at him, I assumed he was Alby.