Chapter III

I couldn't stop thinking about the others. Would they assume I was dead? Were they even alive? Those thought faded out, and were replaced by the possibility of a way out and two Mazes coexisting. After a few minutes Newt slowed down to a walk. His limping was getting worse.

'Sorry, it's just...'

'No problem. Besides, we have a couple of hours until The Closing. What happened to your leg?'

'It's none of your business,' he said, flashing pain in his eyes.

'Just trying to help.'

'Yeah, I know. It's just... I don't want to talk about it'

'I get it. I know we've just met, but you can trust me'

Our eyes met for a few seconds, and I quickly looked away, blushing. It was ridiculous, but I couldn’t help it. We didn't talk much more and kept walking.

'We're here. Luckily, we didn't find any Grievers on our way.'

'Yeah, we're so lucky.'

He laughed.

'So I was standing here, and you came round that corner,' he said, pointing to it.

'Yes.'

I kept looking at the ground, anxious to find the trap door again. I was so distracted that I didn't even notice I was about to crash into a wall. Thankfully Newt grabbed me.

‘Watch out!’

'I'm sorry... I was looking at the ground and I didn't even-'

'No problem'

He smirked.

‘It’s not funny’ I said, rolling my eyes.

Then I saw it, in front of us.