Chapter XII

'Come in,' I said.

Newt opened the door, with some sheets under his arm.

'I'll stay on the bed, and you'll stay on the floor.' he said, with a smirk.

'Such a gentleman!'

We both laughed. He sat on the edge of the bed, and I had to resist the urge to get closer to him.

'Newt... You know you can trust me. And if there's anything you need to talk about, I'm here.' He knew what I was referring to.

'I never talk about it to anyone, it happened in a very bad time of my life.' His expression began to change, hurt flashing in his eyes. 'I didn't have many reasons to live. I climbed one of the walls and I-I just let go.'

'I know what you felt. I've thought about doing something similar many times. You don't need to be embarrassed about it. Not with me'

I came closer and kissed him in the check. His skin tingled when my lips touched him.

'This whole thing is messed up,' he said.

'Whoever put us here must be- I don't even know how to describe them'

'Psychos that have fun watching us through cameras.'

‘That’s the most accurate definition ever. I wonder if they expected me to find that entrance and get here'

'Yeah, at least we've shown them that we can and will fight back.'

'I guess so.'

Newt kept sitting in the same place. I could see his broad shoulders and the hair at the back of his neck. I kept thinking about the others. It was all beginning to sink in. Deep down, I knew that coming here was a good thing. It was probably related with our way out. But what if what was outside was worse? We must've been put here for a reason. I tried to close my eyes, but I couldn't fall asleep. Time passed so slowly. Newt got up and came closer to me. I felt his steady breaths on my hair.

'Sorry-I just wanted to see if you were awake.' He blushed.

'No problem,' I replied, smiling shyly. He was so sweet.

I tried to not think. That's what I usually do when I try to sleep. Unfortunately, it worked.