Chapter L

I immediately saw Rita and Sofia sitting next to Cam and Minho. I sat next to Sofia.

'Now?' I asked.

'Go ahead,' Minho said.

'What?' Cam asked.

'You'll see,' Rita replied.

Minho stood up.

'Shanks, Maria has an announcement to make. And try not to go crazy please,' he shouted.

I explained everyhting.

'Please, I know this is a lot to process, but we need to stay calm. The truth is hard to accept, believe me, I know.'

'So this guy, Thomas is coming to help us?' Louise asked.

'I don't know. But I do know that we'll find a way out, and deal with the Flare and whatever waits us out there.'

'And the Flare does what exactly?' Zart asked.

'It destroys your brain, turning you into animals.'

'So W.I.C.K.E.D is using us to find a cure. Why us?' Cam asked.

'I'm not sure. I think we're different in some way. Any more questions?' I asked.

Eveyone kept asking me questions, and I answered them the best I knew. After a couple of hours, people started going to bed. Newt hadn't come.

Eventually, Louise and I were alone.

'How are you doing?' She asked.

'Fine,' I said.

'I know you.'

'Really, I am. I just want to get out of here. How're the Designers?'

'Okay, nothing new. The same patterns. And Rachel...'

'I know. Maybe she's alive,' I said.

'Both of us know it's pratically impossible.'

'I'll gather the Runners in the morning, and see who'll take over.'

'Who knows, perhaps we'll get out of here sooner. See you in the morning.'

She left, and I was alone. I went to the Forest. I needed some time to think. I sat down under a tree, enjoying the darkness around me. I could hear the horrible metalic sounds of the Death Creatures. They didn't scare me. They were a walk in the park compared to what was outside. I stayed there for a while.