For Him(ew old)

Just to let you know before hand, they are in a brotherly relationship in this, but, Y'know, all corrupted and stuff. Anyways, onto the story!

(This is a rewrite)(Also kinda old)

(I have no idea what to do with the title, help-)

(I figured out what to do with the title UwU)

(Shattered)

Nightmare, to me, was unimportant. To me. But for a certain someone, he's everything. Then my alleged 'brother' became reserved. Rarely seen by anyone in the multiverse, even the artist couldn't find him, and this began to worry my 'counterpart'. To an extent, that, I cannot even think in peace. The glowy bastard just hovers around me, whining and begging to check on his beloved sibling.

I could care less, and I plan to. Ignoring him is easy, or at least it was at first. I thought he'd stop eventually, but no. He's persistent, and I can't even- "Shattered!" Groaning internally, I narrowed my socket as I tried to focus on the book I held. Oh, but he's determined. "Shattered, listen to me!" Whining bitch. I hissed angrily, glowering at his transparent form. "What?! What do you want?" I wanted to slap that hopeful gleam out of his eyes. "Please, we need to check on Nightmare..!" Growling, I went back to my book, "I've already told you. No." He flinched back, his sockets filling with tears, his sadness making me cringe. Disgust curled in my nonexistent gut as he gave a small hiccuping sob. "Shut up! You know I don't give a damn about that bastard, so just stop asking...!"

Graciously, he fell into silence, and let me read for a good ten minutes before- "S-shattered...?" I blew air threw my teeth, "The fuck is wrong now?!" He winced, "There's something wrong with him, Shattered!" The raw fear in his voice tugged at me, and I forced myself to pay attention. "....Explain." He heaved a sigh, relief evident. "My magic tells me he's getting weak. Our bond is breaking.." My disdain drained out of my soul, replaced with, and I'd never admit it, concern. "Shattered?" I grunted, thinking over my options. On one hand, I couldn't be bothered. But on the other hand, he'd leave me alone about it. I hope I don't regret this. "Fine. Looks like you've convinced me. Where is he?" The translucent guardian smiled thankfully, his eyelights unfocusing as he searched for Nightmare. Just as I began growing bored, he gasped, his body stiffening.

I raised a brow, confused. "Runt?" His sockets opened, confusion and shock flashing through his eyelights. Curiosity peaked, I waited for him to collect himself before I demanded to know what he'd found. His breath hitched, concern threading his voice as he responded. "I can't find him.." He met my gaze, looking panicked. "H-his magic.. It.. it's gone.." My breath halted for a second. "I can't even feel the connection between our souls.. It's like he's..." The implication sent me reeling with disbelief, my own magic activating to search for Nightmare. An unwelcome relief flooded my soul as glanced at up. "I don't think so, runt. I sense him, but he has a heavy emptiness in him." Something in my soul twinged, pulling at me. I pushed it aside, gathering my magic to teleport, concentrating on the dark aura.

The faded guardian yelped as everything warped around us, and faded to reveal a place we hadn't seen in a long time. Dream didn't speak, floating after me as I pinpointed Nightmare's soul, and started towards it. I spotted a hunched figure, near... the stump..

I slowed to a stop, staring at the remains of the dead tree. Why is he here? A feeling stirred in my nonexistent gut as I watched the unmoving form of the skeleton we'd been searching for. Dream's joy at seeing his brother at last, and uncorrupted, nearly sent me to my knees. I glared at him, but sighed. He's too excited to see the issue. "Dream. Something is wrong." He looked back at Nightmare, worry flashing across his face. His form nearly disappeared as he ran to where Nightmare sat. The link between us yanked on me, forcing me to follow him. What began as a jog turned into sprinting when a wave of negativity left Dream, along with a horrified gasp. I stopped a few feet away, watching the guardian crumble to his knees beside his brother, who was unaware of his presence. An emotion I didn't understand bloomed as Dream's feelings reached me through the link. Confusion, despair, heartbreak, and a painful sensation I couldn't understand. I watched from a distance as Dream attempted to hug his brother, phasing through him. Dream sat in front of him, tear streaking down his cheeks. I stepped closer, wanting to see what had upset the usually optimistic skeleton.

"Oh Night..." Dream's voice shook as he reached forward, his phantom fingers brushing against Nightmare's downturned skull. My attention tore away from the distressed skeleton, my sockets widening at the sight of the angry slashes marking Nightmare's pale bones. "W-what...?" Dream looked up at me, pleading and desperate. "Help him.." I shifted my gaze to Nightmare, unsure as to how I could help. Nightmare finally noticed my presence, his head snapping up quickly, his expression morphing from blankness to fear faster than I thought would be possible. "You..? W-why are you here?" He jerked back, pressing himself into the dead stump behind him as I knelt slowly. "St-stay back..!" Something hateful lit up my soul at the raw fear and terror in his eyes. I shuddered, reluctant in the decision I was about to make. I turned my attention to Dream, who watched his brother tearfully, no doubt desperate to help. I sighed, and relinquished my control, stepping back from the now vacant body. Dream looked at me, startled. "Help him. I can do nothing. Just.. just help him." What was left unspoken, Dream heard as well. You have to help him, because I know I can't. He nodded, his actions full of purpose as he took his place.

I stepped beside him, fighting to keep myself calm. It hurt, seeing the direct results of my actions. If I had been better, we wouldn't be here. But I hadn't, we wouldn't be here. Dream shivered, the goop slowly evaporating and slipping off of his bones. The process was painful, I knew it was, having felt it before. Dream flexed his fingers, his eyes brightening as he looked down at his brother. Who looked back at him in disbelief. "D-Dream?" Said skeleton smiled softly, spreading his arms. Tears flooded Nightmare's sockets as he lunged forward, tackling Dream in a hug. Dream wrapped his arms around him, shedding his own tears, laughing wetly, the brothers collapsing to the group in a heap of crying and laughing. A smile pulled at my lips as I watched them, something warm fluttering in my hollow chest.

Dream pulled away first, something changing in his expression as he took Nightmare's hands in his, now crying for another reason. "Why..?" Nightmare hung his head, shaking. "I couldn't stand it.. I believed I'd lost you.. I couldn't..! I-I.." He broke off, breathing thickly, dark spots appearing on his clothes, his tears dampening the cloth. A gloved hand hooked around Nightmare's chin, tilting his head up so he looked at Dream. "I would never leave, never. Not even corruption could take me from you, Brother." That only forced more tears from Nightmare, the darker twin muttering through his tears, "I'm sorry, I'msorryI'msorry.." Dream took his brother into an embrace once more. "It's okay brother. I'm here now. I'm here." A few minutes passed, the twins mumbling back and forth, both looking as if they'd never let go of one another. Eventually, Dream healed Nightmare's self-inflicted wounds, the other promising he'd never do such a thing again.

Now, both stood before each other, promising they'd visit. Nightmare smiled, something that hadn't been seen as of late. The portal closed behind him, leaving me and Dream alone in the ruined AU. Speaking of... "Dream." He turned to face me, grinning widely. "Thank you." I couldn't respond, seeing as he hugged me tightly, repeatedly thanking me. As soon as he touched me, I recoiled, surprised, my arms unwillingly working around him to return the gesture. After a solid minute, he released me, still smiling. I shivered, glaring at him halfheartedly. "Don't ever do that again." He snickered, but halted as I spoke again. "Not without warning me." He stared, jaw hanging. I chuckled, grabbing his hand and tugging him out of the body, taking control before he could react.

Re-goopified, I shook out my arms, finally gaining feeling in them once more. Dream grinned up at me when I faced him. "Promise we'll visit Nightmare?" I grinned back, though more menacingly. "Of course." I would never admit this, but I want to be better, I want to fix things. And I'm starting now. For Nightmare.

//End\\

Welp, I finished this. I'll make a few more when I get ideas, but until then, I'll be working on my other book(s). I might make another. Bye, my friends!