M y D e a r...

My dear, it's been so long since we've last seen each other. You've missed so much since you've gone. That artist finally went and got himself hitched, after all these years. The wedding ceremony was so beautiful. The painter, the silly man that he is, dressed himself quite unexpectedly. His poor husband nearly fainted when he appeared in that colorful dress. It was marvelous. Your friend, that soldier? Oh, how amusing it was to see him cry. You'd never guess it, but he was the ring bearer! Astounding, is it not?
Oh, and the artist's husband? He's so much like you, my sweet. Grouchy, coarse, guarded, and so easily flustered. Just two days ago, I was blessed with witnessing a truly comical scene. That grouchy man was utterly dumbfounded, and from a simple peck on the cheek, too! Goodness, he lit up like the sun.
And your lover, the smithy, he misses you dearly. He crafted a lovely blade for you and claims to use it for his proposal. I would describe it, but he pleaded that I keep it a secret. He's locked it away in a chest, and refuses to open it until you return. We hope you do. It's become difficult to sleep without you nearby. I look forward to the day you come home, my love.

An oily voice chuckled, pausing for a moment after reading out the letter. A soft snicker echoed around him. "How cute." Bloody fingers dug into the damp dirt, dark tears dotting the soil. "He misses you, they both do. Why haven't you come home, my sweet?" He trembled at the painfully familiar voice. It sent waves of longing and aching through his body. "My love, my dear, my beautiful sunshine. How disgusting." Rough fingers curled around his chin, forcing him to meet that harsh stare. He was forced to watch as his precious letter was enveloped with flames. "Oh, what a pretty face. So much pain."

Heavy drops of tears streamed down his cheeks steadily, his shoulders heaving as he cried. "Don't be so glum. Smile for me, love." His face was released. He leaned forward, his face to the floor. The grass tickled his nose, his body trembling and tears vanishing in the dirt. "S-stop.. please just stop.." He could hear the sharp grin, could practically feel it. "I don't think so, friend. I'm having far too much fun to stop now." He sobbed harshly into the ground. "Please..! Let me go, I'm begging you!" 

A quiet hum filled the tense air. "Hmm...No. I don't want to." The shadows closed in, suffocating, ripping the air from his lungs. His screams were lost to the darkness. No one heard him. It's impossible.

You can't hear someone screaming. Not when they scream in their mind.