New faces (Rat)

The town rushed by in a blur, flashing with colors and people. The already blurred image grew fuzzy as his vision focused on his reflection. He hadn't slept well since his conversation with Nightmare. He'd grown so tense, so stiff. His shoulders were always squared, his spine always straight, his jaw always clenched. He would wake up sore from it. His neck would creak and ache and his joints felt like they were slowly cementing. For some reason, it was hard to let go of the tension. It took hours, four or five at most, for him to fall asleep.

The car hit a few bumps, his skull thudding against the glass harshly. Grimacing, Cross rubbed his head. A yawn had his jaw aching and his headache somehow worsened. Less than two minutes later, another yawn broke free. Cross slumped tiredly against the cool window, blearily staring out the window. Slowly, his sight grew hazy and he was once again staring into space. He was aware of this, too, but he was too exhausted to zone back in. So, for the next ten or fifteen minutes, Cross stared blankly out the window, completely unaware of Killer's concerned gaze.

The town center was filled with indistinct chatter and laughter. Nightmare scanned the crowds, searching for his brother. Dream had invited them to join him and his friends for lunch, and now here they were. At his brother's request, Nightmare brought Cross and Killer. "It'll be good for Cross, you know? Some fresh air and socialization, and he'll feel better." Dream knew that Cross had gone into a funk, and he was hoping to help with this.

Nightmare easily spotted his twin, the other sticking out like a sore thumb in those clothes. He was also walking with three other skeletons, the only skeletons in the parking lot. Dream perked up, talking rapidly before pointing at Nightmare and waving wildly. The darker twin scoffed, and grabbed Cross, startling the poor adult. "C'mon." Cross stumbled after him, cursing as he failed to walk properly. Killer latched onto Cross's free hand, growling as he tugged him out of Nightmare's grip. "Don't grab him like that, you asshole!" Cross softly told Killer to calm down, letting the teen hold his hand in a crushing grip. Nightmare rolled his eye and left the two. Cross silently followed after him, despite Killer's protests.

"Hi, Night!" Nightmare tipped his head, "Ccino, Blue." He squinted at the third person, unable to recognize them. A winged skeleton, similar in appearance to Dream, but with oddly colored sockets. The right socket was flooded with gold that surrounded a vibrantly orange eyelight, and the left socket was just orange. Nightmare studied the person closely, not sure whether he liked them or not. He liked the wings, though he seemed like a condescending person. Nightmare's tendrils flicked, catching the person's attention. "Who are you?" They smiled, "Honey, at your service." A male, Nightmare decided, staring him down. Dream butted in, "Honey, this is my brother, Nightmare!"

While Dream introduced his brother, Cross and Killer came up to join them. Cross nudged Killer, pushing the teen behind him as he stared at the new people warily. Honey noticed him first. "Hello there, darling...s." His eye drifted down to where Killer stood. Cross stepped to the side, hiding Killer from Honey's view. "You act like they're about to pull a knife on you." Cross glanced at Nightmare, about to speak when Killer cut him off, "It happens all the time, so fuck off, dickhead." Cross sighed and pointed at his side. "Just.. just walk with me. please stop calling him names." Killer smirked, backing down with a smug expression, "Sure thing, pops."

Cross folded his arms over his chest as he continued to watch the strangers with distrust. Nightmare groaned, shoving him towards a random car. "Just calm down already." Cross caught himself on the trunk, wincing as his hands slammed against the hot surface with a loud noise. Cross hissed as he pulled his hands back, clenching his fists to ease the dull throbbing. He rubbed his hands on his pants, quickly following the group. The ache in his hands seemingly spread to his head, an unpleasant pulsing making itself known. He muttered under his breath, reaching up to rub at his skull.