CHAPTER 25

No One's POV

That line exposed the child to reality. That's when she first started thinking about it, and it developed the rest of her life. She felt like she was nothing but a burden. Her eyes lost the happy hue they had, her smile was now nothing; an empty and grim look covered her expression.

The investigator was already around the corner to where the girl was, he raised his katana, pointing to the sky. "Come on now, why such a sad look?" He sadistically smiled as he was relishing on the child's sorrowful state. "Too bad it all it ends here. It was nice meeting you though, (Y/N)-chan.~"

He swung his arm downwards with the katana in hand, aiming for the child's head. He was about to strike her, full force, until a man with a well-built and silver hair stops him. He used his ukaku, in a form of a long black claw, to stop the sword from hitting the child. "Sorry, but I won't be letting you take this child's life."

After the stranger said that, he produced lightning-like bolts and destroyed the investigator's quinque. The investigator quickly jumped back as he formed a sinister smile, "Well, well, well, if it isn't the infamous Raven. Go on and take that mask off for me. Show me who you really are.."

The man, now known as Raven, picked up the child and holds her securely in his arms, "I'd rather not." And without wasting another second Raven launched a wave of crystalline projectiles, impaling the remaining investigator. The investigator fell onto his knees as he held onto one of the crystals and turned to Raven and (Y/N) with a sadistic smile, "You may have struck me down.. but you ghouls will get rid of. I promise you that.."

Once finished with his last words, he quickly took out that crystal and stabbed himself straight and deep to the heart. Taking his last breath, he closed his eyes and fell forwards facing the ground. The young ghoul tightly held onto Raven's coat with tears rolling down her cheeks. She sure didn't know who Raven was, but she felt safe and only buried her face into his chest.

Raven decided to finally leave with (Y/N) in his arms, jumping from rooftop to rooftop until he arrived at a safe alleyway.

"..I'm so... sorry...." Surprised, Raven looked down to the young ghoul, "Sorry for what? There's nothing to be sorry about-" "I'm sorry I couldn't be there for mommy.." The girl started to tremble and sob again, "I couldn't help her-" A hiccup, "I was- a-afraid.." She let loose and cried, Raven only hugged her tighter, "It's not your fault-" "Yes it is!" "It's not because you're just a child. You shouldn't be going through this.

"Your mother wanted you to be safe." The girl's grip only tightened, "I let her die and it was all my fault! If it wasn't for me, she would still be alive right now-" "Enough." Raven's voice, stern and demanding, made (Y/N) stop talking as he continued. "None of this was your fault, you are too young to understand or do anything." He paused as he hesitated to continue.

"Aimi was overprotective and only wanted you to be happy.. she was always like that. I'm the one who should be sorry for not being there earlier.. She knew this had to happen sooner or later, so she has asked of me and another friend beforehand to take care of you. And that's what we'll do. I'll help raise you as our own. Okay?"

The little girl wanted to accept due to his well-being, but she raised a question instead, "But who are you..?" She looked up to his mask, "How can I be so sure when I don't even know you?" Raven smirked under his mask and removed it, revealing his face, "Is that better?" He smiled a little, "My name is Yomo Renji, but please call me Renji. Your mother and I used to be close friends, we talked with each other all the time. And at least, once a week."

Little (Y/N) looked at him in awe, "Cool.. but.. how come I never knew of you?" Yomo answered, "Because me and your mother thought it was best to not involve you with so many things that go on. But please, trust me and let me take responsibility of you now." With little hesitation, the child nodded and buried her face into his chest, "Okay."

Yomo smiled his rare smile, "Good, now I'll present you to everyone else in Anteiku, is that okay?" The little girl looked back at him with a small smile and nodded, "Yeah that's fine."

From then, (Y/N) got to meet Yoshimura, Uta, and the rest. Yoshimura welcomed her with open arms, "My name is Yoshimura, I will be the one taking care of you now alongside Yomo. Let's do our best and live everyday as if it were our last, okay?" She accepted and grew up with them day by day, enjoying all the moments and time she spent with them.

++ Back to Present Time ++

(Y/N)'s POV

I smiled at the thought. I felt tears gather up as one let itself roll down my face. I yearned to be with all of them once more. And I was so close to being with them. Until that idiotic girl crossed my path and brought me here. I swear I'll find her and make her take me back, even if it means putting her or her loved ones lives on the line.

I swear it.

++ Someplace Else ++

No One's POV

A little bell rings above a door as two gentlemen walk in. They both sit down on stools at the small bar looking upset. Meanwhile an old aged man turns to them with the gentlest smile he could muster, "Coffee boys?" One of the men covered in tattoos raised his hand ever so slightly, "I'll go ahead and have one." The old man nodded and looked to the second man with silver hair who only looked down at the wooden bar, "And you?" He shook his head in response.

The old man proceeded to make a black coffee as he spoke once more, "Why so gloomy?" The man with the tattoos answered with a saddened voice, "Well, Yoshimura, we haven't found any traces of her.. only that she broke out of that hell and was never to be seen again.." Yoshimura sighed as he handed Uta the coffee, "And what about you, Yomo?"

Yomo shook his head again, "Nothing on my end. No one has encountered her, she left no trace, and for all we know, she could be dead or caught again by the Doves. I failed Aimi.." Uta turned to Yomo, "Come on, no you didn't-" "Yes I did." Uta sighed and continued, "I know you promised to take care of (Y/N) because you liked Aimi deeply and you have kept that promise."

"No, I broke that promise-" Yoshimura cut him off, "We may have failed to keep her safe and under our care for the last couple of years, but we are all trying to keep the promise we made to her by finding (Y/N). God knows what has happened to her, but we won't give up. We'll keep searching for her and get her back."

Yomo and Uta remained silent. The silence broke when Touka came in, "You should let me help. Even if I'm not fond of her, I want to help find her. I mean who else will I have to make me mad, right?" She paused for a moment, "I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss her." Uta chuckled, "You were always onto her since you were kids. Telling her that she would do things wrong and then corrected her." Yomo's serious expression didn't change one bit, "No matter the cost we will get her back to us." Yoshimura reassured the situation,

"Indeed we will get her back."