Veterans Day Special

A/N: I'd like to thank all of the veterans out there, for helping protect our country.

(This has nothing to do with the actual story whatsoever.)

Monday, November 11.

I hopped from building to building, patrolling the City of Tokyo.

I suddenly stopped, seeing a rising plume of black smoke. I gasped, the orphanage was on fire!

I flew over there, my heart pounding in my chest

I flew over there, my heart pounding in my chest. I could hear the cries of children. Tears stung my eyes, but I brushed them back. Without hesitating, I leapt into the column of smoke. Soon, I saw a young boy, who was bent over crying on the floor, next to a girl who was unconscious. I carefully cradled them both in my arms, leapt out the broken window, and placed them on the grass. I then got up, and threw myself back in. Through the bright light of the fire, I could barely see anything. I then stumbled, and saw a beam collapse. My eyes widened. On the other side of the beam, was a young girl no older than four! She was coughing violently, clutching her stuffed bunny as if it was her lifeline. I did not hesitate, and threw myself over the burning beam, winching as I felt a scorching pain on my wings. I grabbed her, and then saw another child. This one was only a baby! I placed these children next to the others. I saved child, after child, and teens too. I then finally heard the siren of the fire trucks. I sighed in relief. I looked at the burning building, making sure I hadn't left anyone behind. I then narrowed my eyes. Was that just a trick of the fire's light or did I see.. a girl, no older than eight, stood on the top floor of the burning building, beams collapsing around her. I launched myself up into the air. My eyes widened in horror, as I saw her plummet off of the burning floor. I prayed to Selene, and flew as fast as I could positioning myself under the falling girl. She fell into my arms, inches before the ground. I heard the click of a camera. I felt myself fall to the ground, my burnt wings not able to keep me up any longer. I wrapped my arms around the child, letting my body take all of the force of hitting the ground. I clutched her tightly as I stood up. I noticed that somehow, she was still conscious. She was crying, tears streaming off of her face. I held her in my arms as I walked to the other children I had laid on the grass. I rubbed her back soothingly. I unhooked the bottle of silver dust that I always kept around my neck, and sprinkled some on her.

Her angry red burn marks slowly faded

Her angry red burn marks slowly faded. I smiled at her through tears. "It's okay now, little one." I said, comforting her. I sprinkled dust on the rest of the children, all of which were unconscious. She threw her arms around me, sobbing. "Thank you!" She repeated, over and over. I hugged her tightly. Cameras flashed, reporters started to swarm around us. Fire fighters poured out of the trucks, and doused the fire. I then watched in confusion, as all of the people watching started bowing. "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!" They all shouted. I then remembered what day it was. I smiled through my tears, and bowed back. I helped carry the children into the ambulance, they needed to go to the hospital to be treated for shock, and they had inhaled too much smoke. I smiled at the little girl, waving to her as the ambulance sped away.