Chapter 4

"Sis, you need to get out more." Becky babbled on at our lunch table. It was only us at the table, it's always been like that. Everybody here at South Boston high was cliqued up and all up under each other's asses. "No, Beck. You know my mom won't let me and I wouldn't have nothing to wear." I told her honestly. My mom would probably beat me just for asking to go to a party. That's just how she is.

"Just tell her your spending the weekend with me. Remember she let you last time, and don't worry about clothes, that's the least." Becky stated. I thought about it for a minute, I guess it would be nice to go out and actually be a teenager. Becky informed me that Travis was the one who told her about the party and invited her. "Ok, I'll see how it goes." I promised her. We finished up our lunches and made it back to home room.

Today we're working on our senior projects, basically you have to create something that explains your high school experience. I have no clue what I was about to come up with, but it had to be something that would get me an A. The bell rung 45 minutes later, meaning, it was time to go home for the day. I bumped into Becky and Travis on my way out of school. "He, L. Want Travis to give you a ride?" She asked as Travis looked back and forth at us.

"N-No, thanks. It's cool, I'll call you tonight and let you know what my mom says." I gave her a small smile. "Okay girl. Catch you later." She said before we hugged each other, saying our goodbyes. The walk home was a good 15 minutes, but I was used to it. I've been doing it for 4 years now. I made it to my door- steps and long behold, my crazy mother was home. Hey ma." I greeted her while shutting the door behind me.

"I need you to stay in your room tonight. I have company coming over." She said drinking her beer. I took this as my window of opportunity. "Can I sleepover at Becky's this weekend?" I asked her with some hope in my voice. She starred me down for what seemed like forever. "Sure, you can go, but only because I'm having company, and if you come back in this house pregnant your ass is out." She said sternly.

"Yes ma'am." I responded trying to cut the conversation short before something ruins my chance of going out. I quickly went to my room, packing my black travel bag. It wasn't in good condition but it's the only thing I have that would fit everything. After packing a few things and my hygiene products I was set. It was a little after 7 at night. I decided to head over to Becky's. She lives about an hour away and if I wanted to catch the bus, I would have to head out now.

"Okay ma. I'm headed out...see you Monday after school." I said stopping by the kitchen. All she did was look me up and down. For some reason I feel like my own mother hates me. I don't even know why. I made my way out the house and to the bus stop to wait for the next bus. I so badly need this weekend, thank God for best friends.