•18•

"Beautiful little thing" Her eyes widened as she watched, paralyzed by both fear and pain, as the lovely young woman was lifted from the ground by her throat.

"Stop! Mama!" Another voice cried out- sweet and immature like it's owner.
She couldn't hold her back, as she sprinted to help their mother, who was slowly succumbing to the abuse and torture.
A small body belonging to a toddler raced quicker than any human child, with an acute mission.
The legs of the assailant, which the chubby child grabbed at to push over. To inflict damage- of any sort.

"Your daughter...? How disappointing Jasmine, I thought I made it clear whose you were?"

The struggling young woman began to thrash harder, if only for the sake of her daughter.

The man turned, not towards the toddler struggling by his feet.

No.

Red eyes looked directly into her's. Staring nearly into her soul as a malicious grin spread across his pale features still stained with fresh blood.
Her mother was tossed like a rag doll to the crisp forest floor, still covered with remnants of chard pieces of what was once their home.
Maia looked away from those devilish red eyes, only for a moment, to meet the eyes of her twin sister-

Filled with absolute horror.

Not for Maia though- but for herself when she realized two large hands had grabbed her. Taking her away.
Maia wasn't fast enough. Wasn't strong enough. To stop the grown wolf from taking the pup away from her.
Her sister- her twin- her other self.

Everything was turning red. Those eyes, unblinking, stared into her eyes no matter who it was that died beneath his hands.

She called out her name- pleading for the returning of her precious beloved twin.

"Mia"

Maia woke with a jolt, nearly falling off the bed If not for her mate's arms wrapped around her.
Worried and anxious eyes stared back into her own frantic and teary ones.

"Kitten? Shh... it's okay baby" She was pulled into a warm embrace, soft sparks lit up her mind as she tried to forget.
Push it all away. Trying and failing to stop the endless tears pouring down her cheeks as her mate held her with such care and gentleness.
This wasn't supposed to happen. Why was she remembering?

She hadn't felt such agony in so long- it nearly felt foreign.

Yet it wasn't. It was achingly familiar. Like the scent of her Noona, so close and so far away. It was near but unreachable.
Mia was gone. Everyone was gone.

Self loathing overtook her as she sobbed in her mate's arms, her wolf howling in grief, even after so many years had passed.

Lucien was struck with confusion, anger, and stress. Seeing his lovely mate, the same one who laughed at his failed pancakes just the morning before, sobbing in her sleep. Calling out a name he had never heard before-

'Mia'

Who was Mia?

Lucien tried to be patient, holding his tiny mate and softly rubbing her back as they sat in bed- it was still early- 5am. The sun hadn't even rose yet.
Lucien felt odd foreboding and helplessness.
He was an Alpha, a werewolf, who vows for absolute perfection and control. He never let anything slip.
So why was this slipping past him?

Maia finally calmed down, only in slight confusion and dazed eyes. Lucien worriedly kissed her cheeks.

"Sweet girl, what was that? What's wrong?" Lucien murmured, trying to keep his other side from emerging to find out what had terrified their mate so badly.

"Bad dreams" Maia murmured and curled further into his arms. Shaking her head and signaling she didn't want to talk.

She never talked about it, but Lucien wasn't dumb enough not to imagine it had something to do with her family and the rogues who took them.
Her grandmother was not the most elaborate of the situation- and Lucien wasn't aware of the extent of the trauma.
Maia wasn't the right person to talk with, she wasn't stable.
Yet neither was Micheal's mate.

Why would a young girl attempt her life- even seeing another woman in the bedroom- and not be simply angry? It wasn't sensible, especially to him, who'd simply slaughter the guilty party. Not spill his own blood.

"Do you want to shower love?" Maia nodded against his chest as Lucien lifted her into his arms and strolled towards the large en-suite bathroom.
He decided to run a bath instead, as his mate didn't seem eager to stand, and looked quite comfortable in his arms.
Adding bubbles and sweet scented oils, Lucien helped Maia undress, growling in approval at how gorgeous his mate was.

Werewolves naturally were genetically far superior to humans- including in beauty. Yet Maia was another kind of lovely, with softer features instead of a werewolf's normally sharp ones. She was just soft and delicate, and all his.

Lucien stripped, placing them both in the bath, with Maia between his legs, as he pulled her back to his chest. His head nuzzled into her neck and breathed in her intoxicating scent.

Mixed with his own.

"Mine" he murmured softly, rubbing small circles in her hips as he simple basked in her presence.
He felt utterly calm, at peace. How many years had he waited?

Too many.

But he'd wait even longer if it meant being with her all over again.

She was perfection.

"Luci?" Lucien was a bit offended by the terrible nickname, but hummed in response to Maia as she played with the bubbles with a small smile.

"Can I get a kitten?"
Maia leaned back to look up at him, as Lucien froze with a small grimace.
His eyes stared deep into her own for a moment.
A large hand moved up, to gently touch her cheek.

"Now why would I need two kittens in my home?" He questioned with a wry smirk.
Maia flushed but her grin made Lucien smile as well.

"You didn't tell me you already had a kitty!" She laughed in delight.

Making Lucien freeze and chuckle awkwardly.
Now he felt like a damn liar for some reason, despite his innocent teasing. The girl had taken him seriously.

Payten.

Yes Alpha?

I need you to get a kitten- preferably today.

Alpha...? I understand your urges, but please take out your anger on rogues-

It isn't for harming?!

Oh! Haha, you had me there Alpha!

Get a fucking kitten by noon or I'm breaking your leg

Yes Alpha...