•43•

Lucien knew there was something else going on with Maddox's refusal to help find his mate.
Something no one wanted to tell him.

"Alpha, Sasha alerted a change in plans" Lucien sat at the desk in the Alpha suite, Maddox's entire pack had volunteered to a temporary peace negotiation. The Luna herself was preparing the paperwork alone, and with little clue of where her mate was.

Micheal stood in the office with Lucien, while the rest of their convoy waited outside, still shifted and ready for any aggressive attempts by pack members.

"She is coming here now" Lucien nodded, if Felice was truly on Maddox's lands, then Sasha would come- if only to watch the show.
Lucien felt his beast urge him back outside, back to searching, but if he didn't deal with this pack now, complications later could arise during their retreat. The entire pack needed to be subjugated to ensure full safety of all their members.

Lucien could feel their mate bond, it has wavered a few times, causing extreme anxiety, but it had recently stabilized in the last few hours. That brought him some comfort, but he wouldn't feel at ease till they were both home safely.

"Be safe baby girl" Lucien pushed his hair back, looking out the window.

Paws tore through mud floors. She was running recklessly, her vision occasionally coming in and out.
The path originally set upon was veered off, and to her own horror, she was chasing a deer.
She could hear it, the blood pumping through it's veins. The erratic heartbeat struggling to keep with the pace set.
Maia couldn't feel the hunger knotting her stomach anymore, but she felt her wolf's elation at finding a meal.

Prey

Saliva dripped from her muzzle, the sharp canines were not for show.
A leap over a log, a stumble in balance, was all it took. Her jaws locked onto the animal's leg, shattering the bone beneath.
It screamed, and while Maia inwardly flinched back from the wailing noise, her wolf released the leg to shoot forward and rip the jugular.

The silence of the forest was deafening.
Maia couldn't tune herself out anymore, the power she held was a limited as a newborn. She watched herself feast on the corpse of a once living creature.
Feeling slowly came back to her.
Whether it was her wolf healing and loosening control or her own strength returning, Maia wanted to to shut it out again.
It wasn't because of disgust... it was the lack of.
Her stomach filled, the meat and then some was taken and consumed, and in her and her wolf's satisfaction, Maia remembered a rite of passage newly shifted wolves partook in...

A pack hunt.

Maia had skipped it, and Bambi had failed it.

Her wolf gorged itself, until it could handle no more. They collapsed next to the remains, panting to regain the strength lost in captivity.
Her body was burning the energy as soon as it was given, mending the ankle which had been severely injured.
Maia felt her senses heighten along with her wolf, the distance becoming clear as she focused more on the scents around her now.

It caused a stir of surprise. The land she rested on was within a wolf territory, the multitude of underlying scents belonged to a pack, yet she hadn't noticed a single one till now.
Where was she...?
Maia gained back the lost control, her wolf settling in beside her consciousness in her sated state.
Maia tried to reason why she was in a vampire den held captive, and why she was simultaneously on a pack territory.

Who exactly had taken her? She remembered nothing that day after she had smelled Mia's scent.
Mia wasn't alive, but her scent had been fresh.
The ones who took her hadn't shown themselves, nor the wolves on this territory.

She couldn't figure a solution.
What was she meant to do?

The frustration was hitting harder now that she had regained some sanity, and the realization of how complicated this case seemed to be.

She was alive, she was near the ocean, and she was on vampire and werewolf territory. Who was the enemy then?
Everyone?
It wasn't herself which moved, but her wolf.
A sudden howl ripped from her throat, the stains of blood around her eliciting a blood lust in her nature which had been suppressed since young.
Maia hated to admit it... but she enjoyed the hunt.
She enjoyed the struggle, the adrenaline, but she needed a plan.

Her mate was looking for her, and her wolf could feel their bond.
Her pack still waited for her. She needed to go home.
The vampires, that monster, and the wolves helping... they could wait till she had assured herself and her wolf of her mate and pack's safety.

And if they stood in her way... Maia glanced down at the bones and skin resting on the broken trees and grass.

She'd hunt them too.