•38•

Lucien hated leaving his mate, hated having to be apart from her, but the hunt was on.
It was his turn to go searching.

The private jet was lavish, and covered in tacky gold trinkets which couldn't hold his actual interest besides mild disgust.

"You look bored" Kalu was watching a movie, quite loudly, on a tablet.

Lucien ignored him, and in turn received a small huff. Kalu turned back to his movie, no longer caring enough to bother with the living grinch.
Christmas was approaching.
Lucien was already prepared and had everything ordered and prepared, for the pack party and for his family... and Maia.
She seemed odd recently. More distant, yet when he approached her about it, she was back to normal. He couldn't place what was off, but something seemed different.

Lucien had to leave those thoughts as the plane prepared to land.
They had entered the boarder of vampire territory... crowded in the human city of New York. Unlike wolves who enjoyed nature and their own natural territory, vampires stayed where they could feed with accessibility.
The landing was easy, and the night sky had not a single star in sight.

The cold never affected wolves. Lucien stepped out, greeted by two males in full black suits and sunglasses.

The scent they excreted was like burnt sugar, too sweet and nearly nauseating.
Vampires.
Lucien felt his beast struggle for a moment, his fur bristling in retaliation.
These creatures were natural enemies, but they were here to stay, and Lucien and these vampires had a common goal.

"Alpha Lucien, Alpha Kalu, please" they moved aside so they could enter a sleek black tinted Cadillac.
Kalu whistled in appreciation, his demeanor appearing laid back and relaxed.
Lucien snorted, feeling Kalu's aggression just in his scent. The bastard always played things down, pretending to be the level headed one.

He was a bastard.

The drive was short, traffic seemed to move aside for them, as they drove to an underground parking garage beneath a skyscraper that appeared nearly all glass and no structure.
Lucien didn't like the enclosed space smelling like fumes and sewer water, but stayed silent as they were lead into the building and inside a private elevator.

Even more enclosed. He had to hold his breathe until they reached the top.

The office space was clean and thankfully smelled primarily of bleach and cleaners. It was no way something he'd appreciate, but it was better than the other scents suffocating him and Kalu.

The woman sitting at the CEO desk smiled, but it was chilling and unnatural. Her long blonde hair and red eyes told him all he needed, that this was the Left Council Wing, Sasha Barnes. His information on her wasn't extremely extensive, but she was a more agreeable vampire than other elders. She was still a young 1300 year old vampire, and preferred money over massacre. Lucien could at least converse with her... and they shared a common interest.

A pure hatred for Felice De Lamorè.

"Alpha Lucien, Alpha Kalu, welcome! Please take a seat. Is there anything we can offer for your comfort?" She appeared amiable and energetic.

"Not necessary Madam" Kalu smiled, making himself comfortable in a leather sofa. He pulled out his phone and began scrolling through some sort of social media...
Lucien rolled his eyes, seating in an arm chair opposite of Sasha.

She flashed a pearly white smile, her fangs only slightly noticeable. She likely drank her blood through a wine glass instead of from the jugular- a popular form of classism amongst vampires.

Sasha held a file in her hands, her eyes gleaming with pleasure.

"This might interest you" she handed it over to Lucien.

Taking the documents, Lucien felt his body tense.
It was only the first page, yet outlined a detailed sketch of Felice's whereabouts. A perfect track record...

"You're very informed on your opponent... but why haven't you taken any action despite having such information?" Lucien felt his suspicion grow.
Sasha laughed, completely at ease despite the pressure Lucien exuded.

She was no weak female.

"Why? You don't think I've tried? They've all ended in failure. Lamoré isn't just crafty, he's incredibly powerful and in a fair fight... I'd lose" her eyes glowered for a moment, as agitation flashed through the red.
"But with the help of the WCCP... we could change the tides and end the bastard" Sasha flipped a stray piece of golden hair behind her shoulder.

"So, what do you say? Want to team up?" She was a business oriented creature, and deals were her speciality she never lost in.

But Lucien wasn't a novice either. The challenge was clear, and he intended to win.

"Bambi won't pick up..." Maia lazily sighed. Her boredom was increasing.
Tanya was like a statue, watching her every move.

Maia was permitted a run a day, but with a full escort.

"Let's go" Maia jumped from the couch, stretching out and feeling her wolf yipping for a quick run. Maia glanced at the empty messages, before turning towards Tanya who had already begun packing some extra clothes for her to change into after the run.

"Please do not stray from my side" Tanya repeated the same line she spoke every time they went on a run. Maia controlled the urge to roll her eyes, pouting up at the tall woman with a shaved head.

Cuteness had no affect on her however...

When Tanya turned to exit the room, Maia flashed a quick slip of her tongue in the only retaliation she could.

Flashes of brown, green, and red drifted by. The crunch of leaves, a crisp snapping of a branch, and the smell of snow and pine overpowering the nature around them.
Maia was allowing her wolf full control, taking the reins to her subconscious and fully operating her furry body.
It was relaxing, the release of control, and the way all complexities melted into pure instinct.

The dusty grey wolf beside her was Tanya, smelling like moss and cider. A few yards behind her was Park and Johnson, two warriors trusted by Lucien. Her interactions with them were minimal besides a nod of acknowledgment and a bowed head.
Everything smelled familiar and natural now that she had gotten accustomed to White Lily territory.

She veered off the left a bit, usually stopping at a small stream for a quick drink in this area... and she was met by frozen water.
Her wolf didn't seem upset, giving the ice a few licks to wet the throat before shooting off again.

She was in middle grounds now, and before she reached the edges of the boarder, she stopped.
Maia was used to this route, and prepared to turn around as usual, when an oddly nostalgic scent drifted around her.

It was banana bread and black tea, with a hint of burnt sugar.

It was instinctive, the way her body shot around and passed the boarder into neutral territory.
The barks and howls behind her faded quickly with her speed, as her wolf pushed their body to the max with urgency in the direction of that scent.

Her wolf and her own thoughts merging perfectly as a picture began to form in their mind...

Mia